Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JJJ

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by JJJ »

Yeah, wait until the fastest compile get out !
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

Any idea on how long it is going to take ?
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

You can try Ipman's compiles from Stockfish 9 32&64bit versions.

http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/compiles.php

JP.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Is default contempt of 20 correct if facing SF8

SF 9 vs SF 8
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Nordlandia wrote:Is default contempt of 20 correct if facing SF8

SF 9 vs SF 8
Sure (It should also not hurt against stronger than Stockfish 8 because there was no regression measured against master (playing wthout contempt), but keep in mind it is also used in analysis, unless you explicitly set it to zero (and Chessbase remembers the settings, which in the past could be a problem with Chessbase GUIs. I don't know how that is now.) CFish I'm sure has a different solution by now from Ronald (I have not checked) But the patches for Stockfish have not yet been decided on.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Eelco de Groot wrote:CFish I'm sure has a different solution by now from Ronald (I have not checked)
Cfish has the same solution as Houdini (as far as I understand Houdini's solution).

In analysis mode, contempt is forced to zero unless the user has checked the "Analysis Contempt" option. If that option has been checked, contempt will be from white's point of view (so set it to a negative value to give black positive contempt).

In gameplay mode, contempt is for the side to move. "Analysis Contempt" is ignored.

Komodo has a similar but slightly different solution. Instead of "Analysis Contempt", it has "White Contempt". If my understanding is correct, the only difference is that White Contempt also forces contempt to be from white's point of view in gameplay mode.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

syzygy wrote:In analysis mode, contempt is forced to zero unless the user has checked the "Analysis Contempt" option. If that option has been checked, contempt will be from white's point of view (so set it to a negative value to give black positive contempt).
In my experience, Houdini with "Analysis Contempt" box enabled doesn't default to white's point of view, it only does that if white has the advantage. If black has the advantage, then it'll shift to black's point of view. Whatever side has the advantage will have it inflated, and will have Houdini trying to play drawish from the side with the disadvantage.

You can check it in equal positions near zero, where Houdini will bump the scores to some 0.09 which is the Contempt, but you'll see some -0.09 scores if it has shifted its Contempt for the black side.

(this is with Contempt=2)
kk

Post by kk »

Is there a Stockfish 9 for Mac available yet? :-)
Kotlov

Post by Kotlov »

Michel

Post by Michel »

syzygy wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:CFish I'm sure has a different solution by now from Ronald (I have not checked)
Cfish has the same solution as Houdini (as far as I understand Houdini's solution).

In analysis mode, contempt is forced to zero unless the user has checked the "Analysis Contempt" option. If that option has been checked, contempt will be from white's point of view (so set it to a negative value to give black positive contempt).

In gameplay mode, contempt is for the side to move. "Analysis Contempt" is ignored.

Komodo has a similar but slightly different solution. Instead of "Analysis Contempt", it has "White Contempt". If my understanding is correct, the only difference is that White Contempt also forces contempt to be from white's point of view in gameplay mode.
A practical disadvantage of this solution is that the user has to set "Analysis Contempt" to negative if he/she wants to analyze with positive contempt from black's point of view.

The only solution seems to be standardization so that the GUI can set the appropriate contempt value. For this reason it would be nice if SF was on board...
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.