SALC V5 openings and books launched

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: SALC V5 openings and books launched

Post by Graham Banks »

pohl4711 wrote:
zenpawn wrote:The tag may be standard, but having square brackets inside the tag values is likely not, and in this particular case, does not follow the "format of the player name tags."
I doubt that. To avoid problems like that, the text in the Tag starts and ends with “
And no other GUI has problems, reading my pgn-files: Fritz, Shredder, Arena, LittleBlitzerGUI.

But it should be no problem, to use a text-editor and do a search and replace operation:
Replace filter=[-60/60] with filter=(-60/60) or with <nothing> and try out, if ChessGUI can read this.
Will see what I can do Stefan.
Previous SALC pgns were okay.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Graham Banks wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:
zenpawn wrote:The tag may be standard, but having square brackets inside the tag values is likely not, and in this particular case, does not follow the "format of the player name tags."
I doubt that. To avoid problems like that, the text in the Tag starts and ends with “
And no other GUI has problems, reading my pgn-files: Fritz, Shredder, Arena, LittleBlitzerGUI.

But it should be no problem, to use a text-editor and do a search and replace operation:
Replace filter=[-60/60] with filter=(-60/60) or with <nothing> and try out, if ChessGUI can read this.
Hmmm, then the [ brackets cannot be the problem. I did all SALCs since V1 with the pgnscanner, which generates the [ brackets in the Annotator Tag.
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Graham Banks wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:

The only difference between SALC V5 and older SALCs is the size. The inner structure of the pgn-file is the same, but SALC V5 is much bigger. So, try this: split the SALC V5 pgn file in 2 or 3 parts and import these files one after another in the ChessGUI openingbook.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

pohl4711 wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:...

The only difference between SALC V5 and older SALCs is the size. The inner structure of the pgn-file is the same, but SALC V5 is much bigger. So, try this: split the SALC V5 pgn file in 2 or 3 parts and import these files one after another in the ChessGUI openingbook.
... there is some strange stuff preceding first "[" in the PGN file.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:...

Unicode file
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Unicode file

loaded the file in WinWord, saved it as plain MS Windows text, and "strange stuff" vanished.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Unicode file

loaded the file in WinWord, saved it as plain MS Windows text, and "strange stuff" vanished.
Perhaps I should try that too. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Unicode file

I am sorry to hear that and have no idea, how this could happen. I used Fritz and Fritz-Databases, like I did creating all older SALCs, and after finishing all filter-operations, I copied the games (using Fritz) into an empty pgn-file. And that file is now in download-package. Absolutely no different approach than in older SALCs. And no other GUI had any problem to read the pgn and import the games in an openingbook.
Really strange!
Last edited by pohl4711 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Unicode file

I open them up in Wordpad and then save them again, always solves issues like this. I often get it with pgns submitted by CCRL testers :wink:
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Graham Banks wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Unicode file

Perhaps I should try that too. :)

I changed the download on my website from SALC V5 to SALC V5.01
Here the changelog:

Changes from V5 to V5.01:

- All pgn-files loaded in WinWord and saved it as plain MS Windows text, to make "strange stuff" signs go away. So, ChessGUI should be able to load the pgn-files - hopefully.

- In the SALC_V5_hc_10m.pgn-file (the huge 25000 positions-file for bookmaking), all "val=x" (evals of Komodo 11.2.2, written in the Annotator-Tag by pgnscanner) made double-digit.
Means for example: val=-5 was changed to val=-05.
So, it is much easier to filter positions by the val-value in the FritzGUI: Example: Search (and delete?) val=5* and val=-5* will delete all evals from 0.50 to 0.59 and -0.50 to -0.59 without finding and deleting val=5 and val=-5

I hope this changes are helpful...

I would love to include ChessGUI book to the download-package...Just contact me, when its done.