free Aquarium

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: free Aquarium

Post by Dann Corbit »

P.S.
Brainfish does not measure engine strength. 100% of the boost in strength is data.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

syzygy wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:I needed to tell I sometimes use the recent update by Michael Byrne.
The update was not by him... :roll:
Really?

https://github.com/MichaelB7/asmFish/re ... g/01202018
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:I needed to tell I sometimes use the recent update by Michael Byrne.
Really?

This is just a fork, which always adds changes from the real asmfish github and gives compilations (and only since not very long) - please read the commits.

This was probably only setup for the confused, who wanted new compilations for asmfish despite there were only 'cosmetic changes' since 11/17.

This is the real one:
https://github.com/lantonov/asmFish
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Guenther wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Really?

This is just a fork, which always adds changes from the real asmfish github and gives compilations (and only since not very long) - please read the commits.

This was probably only setup for the confused, who wanted new compilations for asmfish despite there were only 'cosmetic changes' since 11/17.

This is the real one:
https://github.com/lantonov/asmFish
The version by Mike Byrne has some of McBrain features, like UCI_ELO or support for Cerebellum. And I was exactly refering to that version. It's matter of security check in free Aquarium server. If you log, you can find SF8 in compatible, SF9 not yet. So if Michael Rohleder includes a version that is only half byte different from the one I'm using, I cannot connect the engine to the server. This caution is to avoid fools to rename a crappy engine to SF or Komodo and to destroy the book.

So the discussion about what engine is by whom only creates confusion. I exactly said what engines I use, anything else isn't relevant.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

What is so difficult about this: there is no asmFish version by Mike Byrne.

He just typed "make". There is no authorship in typing "make".

And contrary to what you seem to believe, proper attribution is important. In particular, misattribution should be avoided.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

syzygy wrote:What is so difficult about this: there is no asmFish version by Mike Byrne.

And contrary to what you seem to believe, proper attribution is important. In particular, misattribution should be avoided.
A short circuit. You need to be right? Feel free.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
syzygy wrote:What is so difficult about this: there is no asmFish version by Mike Byrne.

On the contrary, I try to admit a mistake whenever I realise I made one. How about you?

If I misread that you were still referring to an asmFish version "by" someone who is clearly not an author, then I apologise for my mistake. But did i misread?
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

syzygy wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:

On the contrary, I try to admit a mistake whenever I realise I made one. How about you?

If I misread that you were still referring to an asmFish version "by" someone who is clearly not an author, then I apologise for my mistake. But did i misread?
The only possible mistake on my side could have been the use of the word "version" instead of "release". Could be, but I still consider Cerebellum addition a substantial change. Mike Byrne didn't just type "make" and Carebellum + UCI_ELO suddenly appeared by some magic or divine intervention. So I consider it a version.

The best thing you can do is to post your opinion about it in the original topic by Mike Byrne. It's not difficult to find. Could be at page 5 or 6 on this forum.

I'll keep my viewpoint, you can keep your one.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Why do you think that it was Mike Byrne who added those features? He did not! What is difficult about that? Of course someone has spent many hours of his spare time implementing them in assembly, but that was not Mike.

Mike just typed "make" and put the binaries on a webpage so you did not have to type "make" yourself.

Just to be very clear, I am not saying that Mike ever claimed to have contributed to asmFish's code. In fact he has stated very clearly that he did not. But it is unfortunate that such confusion has arisen.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:The best thing you can do is to post your opinion about it in the original topic by Mike Byrne. It's not difficult to find. Could be at page 5 or 6 on this forum.
Do you mean this topic?
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66373
MikeB wrote:It is pure amsfish , assembly is not something I should tinker with.
You read the opening post and was misled by it. So now you know.