Komodo updates Sub

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mroh

Re: Komodo updates Sub

Post by mroh »

They should release regularly, at least every two or three months, gaining elo or not.
I guess, they depend on satisfied customers with this subscription model and unhappy customers is much worse than elo points.

For me, for example, it would be much more important if they would fix komodos weak eval of positions with opposite bishops...
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Komod0 is weaker than Stockfish ; and after the manner in which AlphaZero simply outplayed and CRUSHED Stockfish, maybe they (rightly) decided not to waste more time and energy on Komodo engine.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

shrapnel wrote:Komod0 is weaker than Stockfish ; and after the manner in which AlphaZero simply outplayed and CRUSHED Stockfish, maybe they (rightly) decided not to waste more time and energy on Komodo engine.
I think Komodos style is the greatest, or it was.
It is more important to keep that style than just go wild for cheap elo.

Komodo is strong enough. Nothing that was in the world before 2016 can stand up to it one bit.

It is a bit like the choice between eating chicken eggs that were laid one per day, or eating eggs in which the chicken were forced to lay 4 times a day by making it dark light dark light, thereby fooling the chickens that it is a new day and therefore they need to lay another egg for that new day.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

S.Taylor wrote:I think Komodos style is the greatest, or it was.
It was.

The greatest thing about Komodo was that with its style it was the only engine around at some point that was able to find a plan in a position while the rest of the engines would just shuffle pieces around.

But that's no longer the case, and I think now Andscacs or even Shredder 13 surpass Komodo's style.

I'm still a big fan of Komodo's style with Contempt=100, though.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Style is prejudice.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

SF is objectively stronger but K is ruthless once lurred into the imbalance swamp.

Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Komodo knows the secrets of the Fire Swamp so he can live quite happily there for some time.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Nordlandia wrote:SF is objectively stronger but K is ruthless once lurred into the imbalance swamp.

Don't see any crocodiles, oh wait, look again.
rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Post by rainhaus »

Rebel wrote:
Nordlandia wrote:SF is objectively stronger but K is ruthless once lurred into the imbalance swamp.

Don't see any crocodiles, oh wait, look again.
The Komodo dragon (Varanus komodoensis) is a large species of lizard and not a crocodile, Mr. Schroeder :)
BTW, why don't you create a new engine from the scratch, which rips all the others, maybe called: Dutch Crocodile !?

The gentlemen are just talking about Komodo and Stockfish. Looks like they have thrown Houdini in that swamp. Doesn't help, he is an escapologist and will return to the surface, soon. So you can't stop him from asking the question:

And what's about my playing style?
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Some people recognize cryptic stuff, some don't.