Best Style/Strength Ratio?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Best Style/Strength Ratio?

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Ovyron wrote:
BrendanJNorman wrote:You moderate with extreme bias and this is well known.

Circle jerking with your buddies insulting people at will or twisting their words to implicitly insult them, whilst wielding the axe aggressively the moment someone you disagree with makes the slightest transgression.

It's clear to see.
I'm just going to quote Ed Schröder on this:
Rebel wrote:CCC is a democratic forum, folks choose the leaders that rule over them.
With Robert Hyatt, H.G.Muller and Harvey Williamson ruling Talkchess, it's perhaps proof of the failure of democracy...
Amen, brother.

Please do email me the games from this thread, I'll have a look and comment via my site. No longer interested in suffering at Harmtanemo Bay.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

BrendanJNorman wrote:Amen, brother.

Please do email me the games from this thread, I'll have a look and comment via my site. No longer interested in suffering at Harmtanemo Bay.
Done.

And in case my subliminal messages to you have been working and you decide to make the brilliant move of creating a chess forum, I highly recommend the simplemachines forum system, much better than phpBB, mwForum, vbulletin and other crappy forum software that can't remember what you have read and not for years.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Post by matejst »

I tried to find infos about myself on the net. Unfortunately, I didn't find any game from my best days in the nineties (Serbia didn't pay fees to FIDE back then), and, also unfortunately, I found games I played after a pause of seven, eight years, and results in week-end tournaments, where I never fared well.

Then, I found the worst game I ever played (I was wiped from the board), but not the games where I made exchange sacrifices, or even gave a queen for a rook and won (happened once...).

In the Serbian second league and the cup of Serbia in 1998/9 I played at a level of almost 2200, winning against a few masters and MK-s. In the 3. division, ten years later, I made 4.5 from 10, playing the first rounds awfully (the rules were changed: no coffee, no smoking, and a faster tempo), before winning some points in the last rounds. And, there's no need to mention it, in a team competition, you have sometimes to play for a win despite the position on the board, and it was often my case (and, of course, a blunder I made in such a game can be found on the net...). Let's also notice that I played the third and, for four rounds, the second table in my club, while stronger players were on the fourth, fifth, sixth, in the hope that could win a few points more.

So, the rating can be very misleading. I know players who could have easily achieved 2300 but preferred to have a low profile to play blitz for money. Others, who like played mostly team competitions, with pauses, and needed time to play well. And now, there is the internet, and many players, who can't spare time to play OTB tournaments, play a lot online.

So, 2120 Elo doesn't mean much, while the knowledge a player shows in his analysis, articles, is -- especially in this case -- much more valuable.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

matejst wrote:the knowledge a player shows in his analysis, articles, is -- especially in this case -- much more valuable.
+1
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Ovyron wrote:With Robert Hyatt, H.G.Muller and Harvey Williamson ruling Talkchess, it's perhaps proof of the failure of democracy...
Do you have any complaints about how this website is moderated? If so, feel free to share them, I am quite flexible, and Ceasar is happy if the people are happy.

In particular, are there any people here who think they should be called a 'dipshit', and feel their rights are heavily infringed if I prevent it? Just post so below, and I will make a moderation exception for you. It is not like I have any interest in how people call each other here...
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

hgm wrote:In particular, are there any people here who think they should be called a 'dipshit', and feel their rights are heavily infringed if I prevent it?
Whatever happened to changing a single word to "[offensive language]" instead of deleting entire posts? Brendan was being accused of claiming to be a GM to be the "protagonist", where are those posts now?

Just let everything stand somewhere, so people wanting to know what happened can do so, in Rybka Forum we had a special subforum called "Drama Llama" where such insults would be moved to, and it required requesting access so for people easily offended by everything that use the Report post button as their hobby the messages are effectively deleted, while those that wanted freedom of speech protected could access those posts.

My problem with current moderation:

Robert Hyatt - What was the last time he visited the forum? (11 days ago) What's the point in saying "person X is a forum moderator" if X doesn't even come here anymore?

Harvey Williamson - What is he doing anyway? I see him posting once in a blue moon, he's no longer involved in Talkchess conversations much, he's not engaged with the community. Okay, so knowing Harvey this is probably for the best, but still, anybody more active could be better for the job.

Just remove them from the list and list you as moderator.

H.G.Muller - The only mod actively around. But he has been harrasing Brendan and making notes about Brendan's origin's (Australia) and about Brendan's residing place (China.) This is discrimination and racism, and now, I've seen lots of insults that have left stay around, even against me, or coming from me, and nothing happens, which is fine. Brendan posts one and suddenly his posts start disappearing, which isn't consistent or fair at all.

So, anyway, when are the next elections? Last time I heard about all this nobody wanted to be a moderator because they were being treated like garbage by members and nobody thanked them for their job, but if people like Brendan is quitting the forum and others are considering quitting because of the current state of affairs one wonders if things could get better.

Unless people nominate Robert Hyatt again because his exemplary activity as moderator. Sure let's have a team of moderators that have made 4 posts in the last 3 months :roll:
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Ovyron wrote:.....
Sir, Brendam has been very undiplomatic.
Only insults and scorn have been erased, nothing that affects the thread.
Brendam has not been banned or even publicly reprimanded.
Moderation has been very fair.
I don't understand your attacks, I already gave you some private information.

If Luyzmil claims to be a 2800 ELO, he could be considered a Super Grand Master, if Brendam claims to be a 2500 ELO, he could be a Grand Master.....
This is not insulting... Oh, my God.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Ovyron wrote: Unless people nominate Robert Hyatt again because his exemplary activity as moderator. Sure let's have a team of moderators that have made 4 posts in the last 3 months :roll:
Thanks god the number of posts don't count for anything.
This forum has become kindergarden enough with your trillions of posts...
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

hgm wrote:
Ovyron wrote:With Robert Hyatt, H.G.Muller and Harvey Williamson ruling Talkchess, it's perhaps proof of the failure of democracy...
Do you have any complaints about how this website is moderated? If so, feel free to share them, I am quite flexible, and Ceasar is happy if the people are happy.

In particular, are there any people here who think they should be called a 'dipshit', and feel their rights are heavily infringed if I prevent it? Just post so below, and I will make a moderation exception for you. It is not like I have any interest in how people call each other here...
And what with your recommendation to me... to drink camel urine? Maybe you should stop hiding behind your assessments about other people... and start assessing yourself!
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66409
H.G.Muller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:15 am Post subject: Re: Drink Camel Urine! Reply to topic Reply with quote Report Post
Just drink your camel urine, perhaps it will calm you down.
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Guenther wrote:This forum has become kindergarden enough with your trillions of posts...
My "kindergarden" comment was critiquing adults for controlling children, and forcing them to carrying out certain activities that will prepare them for being slaves in primary school because they're already used to following orders like "now we will draw trees" or "now we will play with these toys." In a system where the ultimate goal is for them to look for a job and enslave themselves to a boss, because they were used to it since kindergarden.

At Talkchess those adults are the moderators, and regular members are being treated like children.

So kids like Milos Stanisavljevic continously push others around throw insults to everyone and nothing happens to them. While kids like Brendan are punished and their posts deleted for using some forbidden word...

I'd then like to congratulate you, Guenther, for completely missing the point!