McBrain 9.0 with Smarter Tactical Setting

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: McBrain 9.0 with Smarter Tactical Setting

Post by Ovyron »

MikeB wrote:Well you are free to fork McBrain , as you already know , but if you are going to release anything to the public , I ask that you name it something else. Thank you.
Wait, are you asking me to rename the engine and make a proper release, putting some "By Ulysses P., and others" in the executable, when all I did was removing a single line of code for McBrain's source code? And when for 99% of people it's exactly the same engine as they don't even use the Tactical setting?

This is still McBrain (99.99% McBrain, since I just took out 10 characters from the source), and what I claim is this Smarter Tactical Setting should have been in McBrain from the first place as an option.

All this thread was an effort to make people aware of the thing and provide support for people interested, but it's not a branch, and it'd have been the same if I told people "guys, you can get this behavior by removing 'temp = multiPV;' from search.cpp", I just linked to the source for convenience, so that they can use the thing already if they don't have POPCNT or BMI2 on their machine, and make compiles of the change themselves, as a public service.

In a perfect world this thing should have been an option for McBrain 9.0 but you weren't interested, so McBrain is incomplete without it, and now we have two versions instead of the switch that users could have flipped on the original one. But it's the same engine.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Ovyron wrote:
MikeB wrote:Well you are free to fork McBrain , as you already know , but if you are going to release anything to the public , I ask that you name it something else. Thank you.
Wait, are you asking me to rename the engine and make a proper release, putting some "By Ulysses P., and others" in the executable, when all I did was removing a single line of code for McBrain's source code? And when for 99% of people it's exactly the same engine as they don't even use the Tactical setting?

This is still McBrain (99.99% McBrain, since I just took out 10 characters from the source), and what I claim is this Smarter Tactical Setting should have been in McBrain from the first place as an option.

All this thread was an effort to make people aware of the thing and provide support for people interested, but it's not a branch, and it'd have been the same if I told people "guys, you can get this behavior by removing 'temp = multiPV;' from search.cpp", I just linked to the source for convenience, so that they can use the thing already if they don't have POPCNT or BMI2 on their machine, and make compiles of the change themselves, as a public service.

In a perfect world this thing should have been an option for McBrain 9.0 but you weren't interested, so McBrain is incomplete without it, and now we have two versions instead of the switch that users could have flipped on the original one. But it's the same engine.
SF McUly based 99,999% on McBrain, by AnalyzingALot
:lol:
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:SF McUly based 99,999% on McBrain, by AnalyzingALot
I thought to say this isn't the same little girl with a bow, this is the very same little girl with a single hair less. But not a single hair less than immaculate. Let's rename her! Do we call her SF Splitting Hairs or SF Hair In My Soup? :lol:
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
Ovyron wrote:

SF McUly based 99,999% on McBrain, by AnalyzingALot
LOL +1 that’s fine ...