Komodo updates Sub

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ozymandias

Re: Komodo updates Sub

Post by Ozymandias »

Hurnavich wrote:Agreed but some may have fewer days, as for testers well i have many times in the past put forward bugs not just to Komodo and yes they have been resolved as a result.My point is even after all there beta testing we the user can still dig up issues but that is a good thing as it helps improve the software with bug fixes, the point i'm trying to make is we could be a sort of extension of beta testers.I'm not talking countless updates but when they have got a tested stable unit like perhaps the 2016.00 or 2012.00 we could as subscribers be feeling or passion :)
I don't know about their policy, for granting tester status. But I guess it has to do with both access to HW, they deem suitable, and commitment from the person using it. Some subscribers may meet the HW requirements, but how many of them would be willing to do regular work? I'm also guessing they've already tapped those more likely to do.
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

I have bought and supported Komodo from day one of purchasing i wish K team all the best with it's development but as to continuing with my subscription when it expires i think maybe unlikely.
The key is communication or lack of to the end user via email,unless the user contacts K team first then i must admit they do respond,but to have to check in on forums like this and others to see if there is a release or not or for info well not in my opinion the best way.
Well either way we vote with our wallets enough said from my view.
"May your next game be your best"
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Thanks you Brian.

We are hard at work and getting closer to a release every day.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

We once had a mailing list, but people complained, even though the only emails we sent were about a new release. But I do have a small email list I manually send to with each new release. Just contact me at the email on the website saying you want to be added to that and I will gladly do it.

Mark
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Ozymandias wrote:
Hurnavich wrote:Agreed but some may have fewer days, as for testers well i have many times in the past put forward bugs not just to Komodo and yes they have been resolved as a result.My point is even after all there beta testing we the user can still dig up issues but that is a good thing as it helps improve the software with bug fixes, the point i'm trying to make is we could be a sort of extension of beta testers.I'm not talking countless updates but when they have got a tested stable unit like perhaps the 2016.00 or 2012.00 we could as subscribers be feeling or passion :)
I don't know about their policy, for granting tester status. But I guess it has to do with both access to HW, they deem suitable, and commitment from the person using it. Some subscribers may meet the HW requirements, but how many of them would be willing to do regular work? I'm also guessing they've already tapped those more likely to do.
The big thing for us it actually getting test results from people. Some start enthusiastically, then just run fewer and few games and stop. Other juts want to get a free Komodo. But we always listen so anyone with suitable time and hardware can email us. I think we need more horsepower to compete with all those machines running Stockfish.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Hurnavich wrote:
143 days are a lot of days, I'd wait until I'm close to the deadline, before counting how many updates I've got, vs how many I'm supposed to.

I don't know about developers-subscribers communication.

I agree on new features, as an alternative to Elo gains, at least so that releases can be rolled out in a more timely fashion.

Of course testers have those versions, otherwise they wouldn't be able to test them. Subscribers don't have them, because they haven't undergo the more rigorous testing procedures, they surely perform on public releases.
Agreed but some may have fewer days, as for testers well i have many times in the past put forward bugs not just to Komodo and yes they have been resolved as a result.My point is even after all there beta testing we the user can still dig up issues but that is a good thing as it helps improve the software with bug fixes, the point i'm trying to make is we could be a sort of extension of beta testers.I'm not talking countless updates but when they have got a tested stable unit like perhaps the 2016.00 or 2012.00 we could as subscribers be fueling or passion :)
[/quote]

I'll talk with Larry about this. If we limited these between development version to just Windows 64 bit compiles, do you think that would be OK? And the documentation might not be very complete on new items. But I agree the feedback from people could help us a lot in improving Komodo. Maybe we could have a private forum somewhere for the users to provide feedback. I will see what I can do.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

sorry if i'm repeating an idea mentioned, but re fishtest: why not offer an incentive (i'm thinking a large one, like half off) to integrate a similar function with komodo? the incentive could scale with testing hours/unit of your choice or be flat & revoked in some fashion if standards aren't met.

very rough + i have no idea what i'm talking about, but between that & a private forum, you'd get buzz, exclusivity, sales (from reduced price) & hopefully loads of free power. on top of that you create a real user affinity with the product; you see it with stockfish 'fans'. being part of the process can really develop loyalty.

i probably worded that really cynically, but as a consumer i'm just thinking about lower costs + elo & features.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Subscription schemes like this always seem to cause more problems than is worthwhile for your health. Perhaps you should consider scrapping it.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Graham Banks wrote:Subscription schemes like this always seem to cause more problems than is worthwhile for your health. Perhaps you should consider scrapping it.
What about making it "number of releases" instead of time period? Say, people know they'll get the next 4 updates, they will not know when, but they will not be frustrated on the years with fewer releases.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

mjlef wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
The big thing for us it actually getting test results from people. Some start enthusiastically, then just run fewer and few games and stop. Other juts want to get a free Komodo. But we always listen so anyone with suitable time and hardware can email us. I think we need more horsepower to compete with all those machines running Stockfish.
I would love to have Komodo 11.2.2 in my tournament, currently running Season 2. For now, I have to make do with version 9.02 for ovbious legal reasons, which sadly has no chance of beating the likes of H6 and SF8 (upgraded to SF9 in season 2). Elite league (where Komodo plays) begins probably around next weekend.
:D
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls