A Chess Novice Challenged Magnus

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

A Chess Novice Challenged Magnus

Post by AdminX »

Max Deutsch went through a month of training before he traveled across the ocean, sat down in a regal hotel suite at the appointed hour and waited for the arrival of the world’s greatest chess player.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chess-novi ... 1510866214
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: A Chess Novice Challenged Magnus

Post by chetday »

I certainly enjoyed reading that article, Ted. Thanks so much for posting the link to it.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I agree. It was quite interesting. People with savant type abilities are quite an interesting topic in general.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
chetday

Post by chetday »

Dann, I share your interest in the topic of savant abilities. After reading the article Ted linked to, I once again marvelled at the remarkable potential of the human brain. Isn't it a shame that most of us will never be able to tap into whatever area(s) in the brain the savants tap into?

Unfortunately, from what I've read it appears that many savants are socially inept or worse, but the young man in the article who played 39 moves against Carlson appeared to be quite well adjusted. Good for him, and I suspect we'll hear more from him in the future as he continues to set and reach his amazing goals.

I also found interesting his insistence on getting eight hours sleep every night as well as his habit of taking an hour long walk every day to clear his head. I was seriously sleep-deprived during my working years and it's hard to describe how much better I feel now that I'm retired and can go to bed when I want and get up when I want, which usually accounts for about 8.5 hours of sleep every night on average. Like him, too, I walk two to six miles every day, also to clear my head, as well as to enjoy sunshine and fresh air.

On another note related to the article, I'm still smiling over the fact that Magnus mated Bill Gates in nine moves. Given all the aggravation Gates' operating systems have given me over the years, this was a nice bit of revenge. Doing a little reading about the Carlson/Gates game, I found an article that others may find worth reading at:

http://chessimprover.com/9-lessons-to-l ... s-carlsen/

Chet
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Ted, Max is playing as expected, a novice well below a 1000. He tossed his Night early in the opening then his Rook a few moves later.
Terry McCracken
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

chetday wrote:Dann, I share your interest in the topic of savant abilities. After reading the article Ted linked to, I once again marvelled at the remarkable potential of the human brain. Isn't it a shame that most of us will never be able to tap into whatever area(s) in the brain the savants tap into
This guy isn't a savant actually...

Accelerated learning is something that anybody can take an interest in, and once the methods are learnt, learning speed can be very quick.

There are groups of err....hobbyists who use accelerated learning methods to acquire skills in the same way as one might pick up any other hobby...only for them its the challenge that is the hobby - the challenge to master the skill quickly.

People who do this break the skill down into its essential components and then sort of reassemble it in a way that is more efficient.

Polyglots (language learning nuts) do this with languages and can learn a brand new language in as little as 3 months - one guy I met online mastered Mandarin from scratch to university level (for native speakers) in 9 months.

There are various books on this topic:

4 Hour Chef
The First 20 Hours
Fluent in 3 Months

...those are some interesting ones.

There is a kid online named Tim Doner who while still in his teens, achieved various levels of fluency in 20 languages.

None of this is savant stuff, just a hobby with a proven method (or methods).

This is a big interest of mine too actually.

As for this Max guy...I think he underestimated the vast complexity of chess - as many amateurs do.
Bold03

Post by Bold03 »

AdminX wrote:Max Deutsch went through a month of training before he traveled across the ocean, sat down in a regal hotel suite at the appointed hour and waited for the arrival of the world’s greatest chess player.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chess-novi ... 1510866214 Rachat de crédit
So amazing, thank you for the link
CypherOz

Post by CypherOz »

So he played some ok opening moves that he learned then made errors and got body slammed by Magnus as he missed basic tactics - boring.

The game is on YT
CheckMAAAATE!! (From Australia)
FICGS

Post by FICGS »

Haha, yes that was quite a non-event :)
Play chess online on the FICGS applications & website - Correspondence chess tournaments & championship