Banned from TCEC chat

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

Re: Banned from TCEC chat

Post by Christopher Conkie »

bnst wrote:I rarely write anything there and now see that I have been banned permanently. Is this some kind of reversion to Soviet Union and Stalin system ?

No warning about possible wrongdoing, no explanation - just banned.
Must be som 14 year old who finally got some power to abuse.

Regards
anst
LOL

Is this the moment when we should announce the new Arena Forum?

Come back please, all is forgiven?

You should bear in mind that some anorak somewhere there thinks it matters. Your contribution is better off placed here.....where it really matters. Moderation should be just that..... moderate.

:)

Chris
lantonov

Post by lantonov »

Nelson Hernandez wrote: By the way, I am stunned by your accusation that we favor Komodo. What utter nonsense. I mean, where does that come from?
Unlike Chatwing, it is not possible (at least for me) to dig up old conversations in Twitch. If it was possible, I could show hundreds of places where it comes from. To be clear, I am talking only about chat and the "sheriff" is NOT Cato Junior or Anton Mihailov
Last edited by lantonov on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bnst

Post by bnst »

I must say that it is hard for me to belive that you are sincere seeing how many people who have been banned on a whim lately. You must be very much out of touch about what happens in the chat.

After checking with other people that have been banned my statement - which was the only statement made in a couple of days since I usually don't write much was:
" Stockfish is winning over at YCLET"

That's all - no information that mentioning YCLET was illegal, no warning just banned for life !

Go to the YCLET chat and you will find several people there with similar stories.

My nick was anst1234 - and you will find nothing abusive, libelous, incendiary, harsh or vulgar EVER in my 30 years of chatting in r.g.c r.g.c.c and so on !!!

Be ashamed - very ashamed !

Not the best regards
Andreas
bnst

Post by bnst »

Such experiements are not done today since they are deemed not ethical. This is understandable since the results were too "good".

Best regards
Andreas
bnst

Post by bnst »

Thank you very much for your support. I will never again use TCEC chat or Twitch again, but here I always had many interesting conversations.

The reason I'm following up this is that I think that somebody should take issue with it and not allow a few immature people to harass us and to create an elite group of "in" people.

Best regards
Andreas
Nelson Hernandez

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

Mr. Stabel,

We have done a thorough investigation into your participation in TCEC and frankly I am surprised that you replied to my challenge.

You see, we have your complete contribution to TCEC chat from inception. Here it is, in chronological order:

Feb 23 12:13:52PM I used the ARB system to beat A0 10-0
Feb 23 12:17:05PM ARB rulez - sad he isn't here to explain his fantastic system
Feb 23 12:19:00PM King's bishop to queen's rook four
Feb 23 12:19:39PM Heretic !
Feb 23 12:25:12PM !miniboom

Feb 26 3:24:11PM PV of fire has 92.b3 :)
Feb 26 3:25:04PM Hurraaaaaayyyyyyyyy
Feb 26 3:26:54PM At least we are down to almost 10 secs per move now

Banned Feb 27 2:16:44PM by kanchess

I would like to point out a few things.

To begin with, you NEVER said anything about YLCET on TCEC. Not a word. You maybe went on YLCET and said some things, I don't know about that. It doesn't matter; we can't control what people say on other websites and don't worry much about it--except on Talkchess. But the point is that you think we banned you for something we have no knowledge of. Interesting, eh?

Secondly, it is not as if you were a venerable chatter. The above chat is the full extent of your chat history since inception, and you will notice that you started your nick's TCEC career by extolling the one person who has caused TCEC more grief and trouble than any other human on the planet. Mentioning that individual in any positive way is grounds for summary dismissal in our book, and let me remind you were a guest of TCEC. We reserve the right to reject anyone who behaves badly.

I would like to add some further context. We have been battling this same ARB person for four or five years. Over those years he has used countless nicks through proxy servers to spam, make groundless accusations, promote his nonsensical videos and heap extremely vulgar abuse on me and other people.

Thus your first two opening chat statements seem from our perspective like a kind of reconnaissance intended to see if we would take action. We did because no rookie comes on TCEC and from his first message starts praising ARB. Only someone who knows the ARB saga and has been involved with TCEC for some years talks about ARB. Praising ARB is thus a deliberate and hostile act, in our eyes.

We weren't awake on February 23. It took us four days to notice those posts and we banned you immediately, without any warning. Looking at the facts you may think we overreacted or should have warned you. I would argue, based on our terrible past experiences with this person, that our only fault is that we didn't ban you instantly. Anyone who says hello to TCEC by praising ARB is ARB, for all practical intents.

If you think you can come back and say "but I was just joking" all we can say in response is that your sense of humor needs some tweaking and no, we will not be lifting our ban.

I hope this message has clarified the matter.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

It might be a good idea to close the thread now that's all said and done.
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
Nelson Hernandez

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

Thank you for that clarification.

I agree with you; people with mod powers ought to maintain neutrality in order to not promote the idea that we are biased. The integrity of the competition is certainly far more important than who wins or loses.

In Knight Moves defense he is not really in a position to help any engine unless he resorts to some kind of underhanded sabotage. I think that is unthinkable, and I might add that if he were actively biased toward Komodo that engine's recent TCEC results might be better.

Without conceding that he is biased (because I don't know that), I think it is fair to admit that he is human, with all that entails.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Nelson Hernandez wrote:Thank you for that clarification.

I agree with you; people with mod powers ought to maintain neutrality in order to not promote the idea that we are biased. The integrity of the competition is certainly far more important than who wins or loses.

In Knight Moves defense he is not really in a position to help any engine unless he resorts to some kind of underhanded sabotage. I think that is unthinkable, and I might add that if he were actively biased toward Komodo that engine's recent TCEC results might be better.

Without conceding that he is biased (because I don't know that), I think it is fair to admit that he is human, with all that entails.
I think I was censured by some kind of a bot instead of a human, because a human would know it was not offensive in any way.

I don't think it is the moderators running amok, it is the censor bots.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Ok, so someone was banned without warning for referring to a running gag just once. And that four days after the fact...

TCEC is a place where one has to be grateful to be tolerated. The people running TCEC have all the right to make it such a place. But I am happy to be no part of it.