YLCET is no more!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Re: YLCET is no more!

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Hi David, you have a nice website there, but I've only known about your tournament here in this thread.

Here's my unsolicited advice :)
-Invite authors to submit their latest dev versions. Lots of people likes to know the playing strength of private dev versions. Some authors will also be watching the games and will join the chat, making engine enthusiasts more interested.
-Create excitement, advertise and market your tournament.
-Make joining the chat easy. It's currently requiring Facebook login
-For monetizations, you can make donors VIP status in the chat like TCEC, but that will be if your site has more traffic later.
-Advertise the set of opening positions to be used
-Advertise the list of participants including latest private dev versions
-Advertise the hardware to be used
-Create hype for the tournament
-You probably need to tie up with a business/marketing partner
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Edsel Apostol wrote:Hi David, you have a nice website there, but I've only known about your tournament here in this thread.

-Invite authors to submit their latest dev versions. Lots of people likes to know the playing strength of private dev versions. Some authors will also be watching the games and will join the chat, making engine enthusiasts more interested.
-For monetizations, you can make donors VIP status in the chat like TCEC, but that will be if your site has more traffic later.
Nice suggestions...I went to the site....I saw only four chess engines...and I believe only (one) opening book being used...as far as chess engine tourneys...The more engines 'in" the better it is (at least 8-12)...the layout and crosstable could use some work I found the 'layout' a bit hard to follow a ton of lesser known engines need testing like Pedone...Chiron...Thinksfish...etc..not just Houdini and Komodo and Stockfish 9....Time control could use a look...takes a while before you can see some moves....Thats my 2 cents...Good Luck AR :D :wink:
arunsoorya1309

Post by arunsoorya1309 »

lkaufman wrote:Sorry to hear of your plan to close shop, but I certainly understand. Frankly I feel that it is really our fault (komodochess) for failing to keep up with Stockfish in the last year or so. If everyone takes it for granted that Stockfish will win a tournament, there is not so much incentive to follow it. If we were fully competitive with Stockfish, as we used to be and as I hope we will again be in the future, I think you would get a lot more visitors. Perhaps if you see a close race for number 1 spot you will be motivated to try again.
Hi Larry,

One because of your's and Mark's support the tournament is still interesting. If no K updates were given it would have been really boring. We appreciate the support you have shown so far.

I am sure K will bounce back to the top soon.

Regards,
Arun
arunsoorya1309

Post by arunsoorya1309 »

supersharp77 wrote:
Edsel Apostol wrote:Hi David, you have a nice website there, but I've only known about your tournament here in this thread.

Nice suggestions...I went to the site....I saw only four chess engines...and I believe only (one) opening book being used...as far as chess engine tourneys...The more engines 'in" the better it is (at least 8-12)...the layout and crosstable could use some work I found the 'layout' a bit hard to follow a ton of lesser known engines need testing like Pedone...Chiron...Thinksfish...etc..not just Houdini and Komodo and Stockfish 9....Time control could use a look...takes a while before you can see some moves....Thats my 2 cents...Good Luck AR :D :wink:
Hi Ross,

We thought the crosstable was laid out well, with direct links to games etc, what would you like to improve in this?. Also we made it sortable which is kind of nice.

Regards,
Arun
Dariusz Orzechowski

Post by Dariusz Orzechowski »

Website is nice but I think it would be really unique place to go if you could run gauntlets for LCZero. Its network is relatively small and should work really fine on CPU. If at some point it would be possible to add some decent GPU it could be really something.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Edsel Apostol wrote:-Make joining the chat easy. It's currently requiring Facebook login
I don't even see a login because my Adblocker blocks a ton of Google scripts and other stuff that compromises user privacy. A Facebook login would be the icecake since FB scripts would also be blocked, and I don't have a FB account. Since that doesn't work, I don't see anything special with that site. However, I do like the overall layout and design, it looks really nice.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

What hardware is being used for the tournament? What does YLCET stand for?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
yorkman

Post by yorkman »

Leo wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:30 am What hardware is being used for the tournament? What does YLCET stand for?
This response will be well overdue but anyway...YLCET stands for Yorkman's Live Chess Engine Tournament. The hardware is dual Intel Xeon E5-2696v3.