Lczero stalled in progress?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: Lczero stalled in progress?

Post by syzygy »

JJJ wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 amYes, Milos and his negativity is now ignored to me. But shouldn't he be banned now ?
I don't know what he wrote this time, but in general my answer to your question is yes. His contribution to the forum is strictly negative.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

You don't have the authority to ban him. BTY how do I ignore someone in here?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Leo wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:39 am You don't have the authority to ban him. BTY how do I ignore someone in here?
Right-click on the person to view his profile and click on "Add foe".
mirek

Post by mirek »

Milos wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:09 am
mirek wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:43 am
Milos wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:04 am
Because infinite growth is infeasible and saturation always happens sooner or later. ;)
What you are actually asking is why progress is really not in line with expectations of so many ppl, but that is kind of question for psychologist so you kind of posed it in a wrong forum ;).
Seems you quite often post conclussions that directly contradict the Deepmind paper, so maybe that could be even more interesting puzzle for a psychologist.
So by your logic anyone that doesn't esteem that Google advertising preprint as bible is crazy? Interesting opinion.
Let me rephrase the question: so by your logic anyone who expects the Deepmind results can and will be replicated is crazy?
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Milos wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:33 am
Albert Silver wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:22 am
Milos wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:41 am
Those are pretty natural terms, if you don't understand it I can't help you.
You do realize that his comment was in response to my report about the bug, and that your reply makes no sense whatsoever in the context. As such I'm not the one in need of help.
There is no more threaded view. I replied to what is in the comment, i.e. question why that is related to the progress stalled from thread title, I really don't care who replied to whom originally and for what.
Ok, now I understand. I had thought your replies were somehow related to what the post you were quoting. I had not realized they were just random posts.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
lantonov

Post by lantonov »

Albert Silver wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:19 pm
Obviously the move is 27. Qxd7 which Leela fails to play when given the history. If shown just the FEN, it finds it. Tests of previous neural network versions show the following probability to play Qxd7, as reported in the GitHub:
27. Qxd7 or 27. Rxd7 ?
Wish Leela reversing the downward trend ASAP. Going back to some earlier point is always an option.
corres

Post by corres »

[quote=syzygy post_id=761798 time=1526002093 user_id=6292]
The problems started on 3 May, which was when v0.8 was released. So it seems rather likely that a severe bug was introduced in one of the about 100 commits between v0.7 and v0.8.
[/quote]

I also think the issues were introduced by v0.8 and the further versions.
But these were not some serious bugs but a conceptional fault.
They made a lot of changes on the code of lczero simultaneously without any evidence about that every modifications have positive effect to the Elo of LC0.
In my opinion they should return to bug fixed v0.7 and after the Elo stabilized (may be enhanced) they should re-introduced the modifications one by one. In this mode the bad changing would be cleared up.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

corres wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:22 pm
syzygy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:28 am The problems started on 3 May, which was when v0.8 was released. So it seems rather likely that a severe bug was introduced in one of the about 100 commits between v0.7 and v0.8.
They made a lot of changes on the code of lczero simultaneously without any evidence about that every modifications have positive effect to the Elo of LC0.
In my opinion they should return to bug fixed v0.7 and after the Elo stabilized (may be enhanced) they should re-introduced the modifications one by one. In this mode the bad changing would be cleared up.
This seems logical to me.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Albert Silver wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:31 pm
Robert Flesher wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:53 pm I am just curious if the experts can explain why Lczero seems to have stalled in progress?
A massive bug was revealed today, which has also affected the training. Leela will literally refuse to capture a hanging queen:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... iOlKkuhCGw

It seems the stalled progress has still not been fixed and the program seems to be losing ELO. I am still very interested, thus hoping the issue is found.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Werewolf wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:05 pm
corres wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:22 pm
syzygy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:28 am The problems started on 3 May, which was when v0.8 was released. So it seems rather likely that a severe bug was introduced in one of the about 100 commits between v0.7 and v0.8.
This seems logical to me.
'
+1