Komodo 12 and MCTS

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Re: Komodo 12 and MCTS

Post by lkaufman »

CMCanavessi wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 pm @mark and larry, now that K12 is out will you make 10 free?
Probably we will before too long, but not right away.
Komodo rules!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Larry and Mark,

Thank you for the new release - it is always a joy having a new Komodo to play with.

best regards,

Michael
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

AdminX wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:54 pm
Geonerd wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Christ, dude, we heard you the first time...

WTF IS it with this forum? Why is a civil conversation so damn difficult? :?
Well you can now just use the "add foe" option to the profile of the user that does not know how to be civil. Then all post from that user will be hidden from you.
Great option, one suggestion for all - when responding to someone being hostile, no need to quote the hostile remarks. They will soon be posting to themselves.
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Thank you for this new engine, Mark and Larry.

MCTS is great fun to play around with, though K12 "normal" indeed seems stronger.

I notice that occasionally MCTS freezes, both on Windows and on Mac OS.
On my quad, it does not matter if 1 use 1, 2 or 3 threads or if i use more or less multi-pv.
The thing just sometimes freezes: the clock does not "tick" and the search depth remains the same.
Odd behavior or something fully explainable?

Thanks,
Kaj
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Kaj Soderberg wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:16 pm Thank you for this new engine, Mark and Larry.

MCTS is great fun to play around with, though K12 "normal" indeed seems stronger.

I notice that occasionally MCTS freezes, both on Windows and on Mac OS.
On my quad, it does not matter if 1 use 1, 2 or 3 threads or if i use more or less multi-pv.
The thing just sometimes freezes: the clock does not "tick" and the search depth remains the same.
Odd behavior or something fully explainable?

Thanks,
Kaj
Does this happen after leaving it to analyze in infinite mode for a fairly long time, like an hour or so? If so it is because memory limits are reached. This isn't a bug, but perhaps we'll have a fix for it in a future update.
Komodo rules!
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Hi Larry,

Indeed this occurs in infinite analysis mode, sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes much later.
So it's a memory issue. Maybe to be fixed later on. OK.
What puzzles me a bit, not being a techie, is that it only occasionally occurs!?
Any practical idea for a workaround for the time being, settingswise or so?

Cheers, Kaj
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

lkaufman wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 pm Does this happen after leaving it to analyze in infinite mode for a fairly long time, like an hour or so? If so it is because memory limits are reached. This isn't a bug, but perhaps we'll have a fix for it in a future update.
Isn't a bug?! Is it expected behavior?

Komodo's causing his computer to freeze, that's a serious bug.
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Jesse Gersenson wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:45 pm
lkaufman wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 pm Does this happen after leaving it to analyze in infinite mode for a fairly long time, like an hour or so? If so it is because memory limits are reached. This isn't a bug, but perhaps we'll have a fix for it in a future update.

Just a bit of clarification. The engine freezes and causes the GUI to stop giving information. The PC is still responding.
Cheers, Kaj
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Kaj Soderberg wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Just a bit of clarification. The engine freezes and causes the GUI to stop giving information. The PC is still responding.
Cheers, Kaj
It seems odd to me that the GUI would stop working. Nothing we do in the engine should make the GUI stop. The GUI has its own clock. In MCTS mode, when the memory for MCTS nodes fills up, it simply stops searching and returns the best move. If you find a position where the GUI freezing is repeatable, please send me the position, the GUI you are using and your settings and I can try to reproduce on my machines.
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

mjlef wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 pm
Kaj Soderberg wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Cheers, Kaj
It seems odd to me that the GUI would stop working. Nothing we do in the engine should make the GUI stop. The GUI has its own clock. In MCTS mode, when the memory for MCTS nodes fills up, it simply stops searching and returns the best move. If you find a position where the GUI freezing is repeatable, please send me the position, the GUI you are using and your settings and I can try to reproduce on my machines.
Do you send the best move only after the GUI has sent the 'stop' command?
If not, this might eventually confuse the GUI?!
Jörg Oster