GUI question: Asymmetric time control

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

GUI question: Asymmetric time control

Post by rainhaus »

Hi everyone,
ATC, I thought that was a basic option.
I am looking for a GUI where you can set individual time controls for each engine (UCI) in a match or tournament. So Shredder plays for example 40/20' and Stockfish with 5' Blitz. As far as I can see, it's not possible in Fritz and Arena. But it would be a good thing for testing and experimenting.
rn
Ozymandias

Re: GUI question: Asymmetric time control

Post by Ozymandias »

Maybe cutechess (the command line version does have that option).
pferd

Post by pferd »

I think Aquarium had an option to use asymmetric time controls, but I have not used it in three years...
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

ChessGUI has it.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Hi Rainer!
rainhaus wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:44 pm As far as I can see, it's not possible in Fritz and Arena.
In Fritz you can add up to 200% for one side and in Arena you can define an engine's strenght in percentage. (Engine Management-Details-Special) Arena mangages this strenght-percentage by correcting the given TC for the chosen engine accordingly.
Peter.
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

Ozymandias, Pferd and Matthias, thank you for your recommendations. As a dependent window(s)-junkie I always look for more comfortable alternatives before I go to the command line:)
I discovered the Aquarium 2010 in my dusty collection. There is actually an option "Some time for both players", where you can set any time control for each engine. Now I also know why the term asymmetric time control has stuck with me. This GUI is installed immediately, even if only the 3-5-men Nalimov work.
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

peter wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:18 am Hi Rainer!
rainhaus wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:44 pm As far as I can see, it's not possible in Fritz and Arena.
In Fritz you can add up to 200% for one side and in Arena you can define an engine's strenght in percentage. (Engine Management-Details-Special) Arena mangages this strenght-percentage by correcting the given TC for the chosen engine accordingly.
Hi Peter,
Well, this is a misunderstanding, so it's good that you mention these possibilities. The authors of Fritz and Arena probably also thought that there are enough options and parameters to preset a different playing strength of the engines. But I am in fact interested in the variable "type of time control". I would like to test the playing strength depending on the different types of time management. I hope to be able to present results soon, since this is possible with the programmes mentioned.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

WinBoard / XBoard allows you to specify time odds per engine, so that they get different times. I never saw any use for allowing the engines to play with different TC mode, though (e.g. sudden death vs. classical). Is there any use case for that?
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

hgm wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:33 pm .... I never saw any use for allowing the engines to play with different TC mode, though (e.g. sudden death vs. classical). Is there any use case for that?
I thought about such a feature years ago for ChessGUI, but found it nonsensical. :wink: :roll:
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Leto

Post by Leto »

rainhaus wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:44 pm Hi everyone,
ATC, I thought that was a basic option.
I am looking for a GUI where you can set individual time controls for each engine (UCI) in a match or tournament. So Shredder plays for example 40/20' and Stockfish with 5' Blitz. As far as I can see, it's not possible in Fritz and Arena. But it would be a good thing for testing and experimenting.
rn
In Fritz you can give one engine up to 200% time advantage, but strangely this can only be done in the engine match section, not the tournament section. This means you are limited to just a one versus one. I'd personally find asymmetric time control in the tournament section of the Fritz GUI very useful, alas I doubt it'd ever happen.