advice on chess GUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

yanquis1972

advice on chess GUI

Post by yanquis1972 »

want to run a scaled leela-SF match & looking for a simple GUI where i can use separate time controls (nodes/move option would be potentially useful but not necessary) & ideally, pause matches or exit & save the game, but certainly tournament.

i really liked cutechess, but it was a little too slimmed down; i don't think it even saved any tournament started if you stopped (??). not sure if anyone's picked that up & done anything with it, it hadn't been updated in some time.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: advice on chess GUI

Post by hgm »

WinBoard supports time odds. You would have to use the same type TC for both engines, though (classical / incremental / time per move). But then you can reduce the given TC by any integer factor on a per-engine basis.

If you run a tournament (rather than a simple match), which can have only 2 participants, you can interrupt the tourney at any time, and then restart it. (If WinBoard is properly installed, you can restart by simply clicking the tourney file that WinBoard created for the tourney.) I don't think UCI supports a 'pause' function; WinBoard can approximate it by stopping the game after a move, not relaying it to the opponent, and taking both out of ponder. This might disturb the pondering engine, however, so it is not ideal in ponder-on games.
yanquis1972

Re: advice on chess GUI

Post by yanquis1972 »

thanks, i don't think i've tried winboard in many years; dismissed it at the time bc it was ugly, which isn't a concern now. that one didn't even occur to me.