On-line engine blitz tourney July

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zenpawn

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by zenpawn »

It appeared to me that KingSlayer lost on time vs RookieMonster in the first round, but instead of a result, I got a message about an invalid command once its time had expired. I then logged out and can no longer get back in; it seems to think I'm entering non alpha characters for a user name. If no one else is having issues, please withdraw RM.
Erin Dame
Author of RookieMonster
Florentino

Post by Florentino »

Same problem for me! Can't login any more!
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Same here during the game against Eichhoernchen. Fics last message was some binary garbage followed by "nil: Command not found". Login doesn't work anymore.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
flok
Full name: Folkert van Heusden

Post by flok »

pijl wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:18 pm Seems something's wrong ... Can't login to the server anymore from either of my machines. Same problem on both sides. Some random characters seems to be sent to the server making it impossible for me to log in to the server. Anyone else with the same problem?
Me too!

Embla was playing (on rpi3 & i7) and both got thrown out and now no longer can I connect.
Martin
Full name: Martin Danielsson

Post by Martin »

I managed to login again now.
odomobo
Full name: Josh Odom

Post by odomobo »

Looks like the random character issue is happening again
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

yupp, here also. can't login.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
pijl

Post by pijl »

Stuck again
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

Yes, it happened again. Sad part is these two pretty wins were lost to the ether as neither were saved in the WinBoard PGN.
Erin Dame
Author of RookieMonster
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Sorry guys,

I see no alterative but to cancel the tourney for tonight. I took the server off line.

It is clear to me what the problem is: most of you connect through timeseal, which encrypts everything you sent to the ICS. The ICS sends the encrypted input to a separate process, running the timeseal decoder, which then gives it the decrypted input back. It is this process that crashes and dies, so that the ICS only sees the encrypted input. Which it of course rejects as invalid.

The timeseal decoder is closed source.

This has happened once before, and the cause was the too long kibitz lines from one of the participating engines. I could fix that by having the ICS clip the lines it sends to the decoder to a safe length. So I am surprised the problem can occur again. But the ICS saves a command log, so I shoul be able to figure out which was the last input line before the commands got gibberish. This is the line that must have crashed the decoder. Hopefully seeing that line can give me an idea what it contains that is problematic, so I can defuse such lines before they go to the decoder. This will take some time.