Ivanhoe plays singlecore in TCEC 13 !!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Ivanhoe plays singlecore in TCEC 13 !!

Post by pohl4711 »

[quote=pferd post_id=770125 time=1533334644
Edit: I just started IvanHoe version 999946h-RL on my machine and I had to change TitanicMode to true and edit TitanicCPUSizings to 4 before it ran on multiple threads. Got around 8000k on my machine
[/quote]

Then, everything is clear. In this TCEC, they give the uci-command “Threads=43“ to Ivanhoe, which is wrong (the uci-commands are shown, when an engine plays and you click on the small gearbox-icon).
And Ivanhoe doesnt know this command... so he plays in singlecore-mode! So, it is clear, why Ivanhoe calculates only 2.5 Mn/s in TCEC 13...
Correct uci-commands would have been:
TitanicMode=true
TitanicCPUSizings=43

What a ridiculous start of this season and that nobody checked the uci-commands, before starting the season. So sad. So unprofessional.
Milos

Re: Ivanhoe plays singlecore in TCEC 13 !!

Post by Milos »

pohl4711 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:09 am
pferd wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:17 am Edit: I just started IvanHoe version 999946h-RL on my machine and I had to change TitanicMode to true and edit TitanicCPUSizings to 4 before it ran on multiple threads. Got around 8000k on my machine
Then, everything is clear. In this TCEC, they give the uci-command “Threads=43“ to Ivanhoe, which is wrong (the uci-commands are shown, when an engine plays and you click on the small gearbox-icon).
And Ivanhoe doesnt know this command... so he plays in singlecore-mode! So, it is clear, why Ivanhoe calculates only 2.5 Mn/s in TCEC 13...
Correct uci-commands would have been:
TitanicMode=true
TitanicCPUSizings=43

What a ridiculous start of this season and that nobody checked the uci-commands, before starting the season. So sad. So unprofessional.
It seems more and more as deliberate thing. With Ivanhoe at full strength one of Lc0 NN's might not even qualify for division up. To me this is really disgusting. First allowing engine and its clone, and then crippling the biggest competitor.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Yesterday I was watching the game between Deus-X and Tucano and noticed that Tucano shows an incredibly low speed (around 1 mnps, sometimes even lower), so I suspect it was only using one core. Also the configured hash (1024 Mb) seems very low for a lazy-smp engine with these long thinking times. Maybe misconfiguration or is this normal behaviour for Tucano? I don't know.
arunsoorya1309

Post by arunsoorya1309 »

Anton has been informed about this, he will get back. Please don't spread false information about the issue. It seems to be a genuine oversight by the organizers
Milos

Post by Milos »

arunsoorya1309 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:10 am Anton has been informed about this, he will get back. Please don't spread false information about the issue. It seems to be a genuine oversight by the organizers
We'll see. If games are replayed than it is, if they are not, then it isn't, it is that simple.
pferd

Post by pferd »

I was doing some extra research this morning. Some versions of IvanHoe have a Threads option, some other have the Titanic thing. Does anybody have a link to the version playing in TCEC?
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

I have nineteen different compiles of IvanHoe 999946h. Eighteen of them use the Threads option to set the number of threads, and do not have the TitanicMode setting. The only 999946h version I have that uses TitanicMode and TitanicCPUsSizings is 999946hWHM19, which I highly doubt TCEC is using.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Sorry, 21 different compiles. I did not count IvanHoe 999946h 01a35, which was compiled in 2016 and is the most recent compile I have. It's unclear to me exactly which compile they are using, unless somehow I can get the CRC value of the executable.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

That is what you get when the there is no standard option for setting the number of search threads, in UCI.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

In the past when Martin was still in charge of TCEC each engine was thoroughly checked before it was entered in the tournament.
Now it seems more like playing Pacman. TCEC will lose a lot of credibility with all these nonsense.