Ivanhoe plays singlecore in TCEC 13 !!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kranium

Re: Ivanhoe plays singlecore in TCEC 13 !!

Post by kranium »

pohl4711 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:22 pm And, are you happy about your posting, in which you said, that I "speculate wildly, create misleading and incorrect topics, and throw such harsh criticisms at TCEC. That's really hurtful and incredibly unfair", too ??
I am not. I was right, and it was obvious for everybody, how ever used the Ivanhoe-engine, that Ivanhoe played in singlecore-mode. That was not a speculation, not incorrect, not misleading. And the TCEC-team did not do any testings, before starting the season - otherwise they should have recognized it - and that is unprofessional, as I said before. Thats the truth and not a "harsh criticism".
With those words I was referring to your 1st post which opened this topic:

"Then, everything is clear. In this TCEC, they give the uci-command “Threads=43“ to Ivanhoe, which is wrong (the uci-commands are shown, when an engine plays and you click on the small gearbox-icon).
And Ivanhoe doesnt know this command... so he plays in singlecore-mode! So, it is clear, why Ivanhoe calculates only 2.5 Mn/s in TCEC 13...
Correct uci-commands would have been:
TitanicMode=true
TitanicCPUSizings=43
What a ridiculous start of this season and that nobody checked the uci-commands, before starting the season. So sad. So unprofessional."

It's all false, and was speculation on your part...(except for the topic title!)

and I don't think the heavy handed criticisms are fair, or kind for that matter.
I think we all owe appreciation for Anton and his team for creating this wonderful event.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Nay Lin Tun wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:29 pm If Ivanhoe is actually playing with a single core and it was due to their technical error, they will replay all Ivanhoe games.(they did like that before). The Authour should contact Anton.
It IS playing on 1 thread, confirmed by TCEC staff themselves. Though, it was not due to a technical error or misconfiguration. The binary used seems to not be working right, and that's not their fault. Games will NOT be replayed. It's an engine issue, not a TCEC issue.

Edit: I agree that if they had tested things beforehand, we would have avoided this awkward situation.
Last edited by CMCanavessi on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

TCEC can fix this if they want, just correct Ivanhoe's settings and replay its games.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Carlos777 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:49 pm TCEC can fix this if they want, just correct Ivanhoe's settings and replay its games.
Again, TCEC settings are ok. It's the engine's fault.
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Official source code doesn't have option Threads but TitanicMode and TitanicCPUSizings. I used a lot of Ivanhoes as it was an up-to-date engine. And NONE of them knew the command "Threads". Knowing this and seeing the obvious truth, that Ivanhoe plays in singlecore-mode and TCEC-GUI sent the command "Threads", it was logical, that this is the problem. How should I know, they use a newer buggy-compile? And makes that things better? Or more professional? I dont think so.

But I am out of this debate. Ivanhoe plays singlecore. And TCEC team did not test that before starting the season. That are the two important facts.

End of transmission.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Ok, now it's evident you're just trolling.

End of transmission.
Milos

Post by Milos »

CMCanavessi wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:50 pm
Carlos777 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:49 pm TCEC can fix this if they want, just correct Ivanhoe's settings and replay its games.
Again, TCEC settings are ok. It's the engine's fault.
Technically it is Kranium's fault. He provided the binary. And I am more and more convinced that all this is intentional on Anton's side. Sorry, but too many circumstantial evidence. They simply don't care to have properly working Ivanhoe. And the reason is because they want both NN "engines" to be in division 3. It is pretty obvious that with fully functioning Ivanhoe, there is close to 0% chance for both NN's to go through. It's a scam, period.
jp

Post by jp »

kranium wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:30 pm
Laskos wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:14 pm
kranium wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:36 pm personally I'm rooting for both to go thru
I am too rooting for them to go through, but based on merit. That one of the favorites is handicapped by 200-300 Elo points is surely not the best set up of the competition in this division.
Ivanhoe is a very strong engine, it would normally be placed in a much higher division.

If Ivanhoe is indeed playing on single core, which certainly appears to be possible..
that would actually bring it down to a suitable level for Division 4
That does not make it okay. How do you expect Ivanhoe to get to the much higher division where you claim it belongs if you cripple it so it loses in Division 4?
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

If whoever provided the binary doesn't provide information on how to configure the threads option, it's his fault.

End of the story
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The engine programmer is certainly not without blame either. Using these ridiculous names for commonly used settings is asking for trouble. And if you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised if you get it.

Of course it is also rather incompetent of the persons running the tournament to not notice an engine doesn't behave as it should.