BIG NEWS! The 7 man syzygy tablebase files are complete.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: BIG NEWS! The 7 man syzygy tablebase files are complete.

Post by Milos »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:55 am [I guess $100K.
Probably at least 1.5 TB RAM (since you cannot build the 7 man files with 1 TB). I guess $30K for that and more if he has 2TB.
The disk drives will be SAS and really expensive too. I make a wild guess of $5000 for that.
Those kind of systems tend to be overbuilt with redundant high-end everything (high speed raid cards, high speed network cards, between 2 and 4 one kilowatt or more power supplies) etc.

Anyway, I won't be buying one of those any time soon.
Not more than 60k$, as I already wrote. Most of your assumptions are simply wrong. Those Intel Platinums are not more than 5k$ when bought in bulk.
Memory is 8$/GB even today, last year was cheaper. 1.5TB is max 12k$.
No one uses SAS any more. That's a thing of the past. Enterprise systems use NVMe cards. And they are not at all that expensive.
And his system is a hobby system, not a bank server so he doesn't need RAID6 or other enterprise crap. RAID0 is more than enough with SATA HDDs for slow storage. And NVMe's for fast (memory) storage.
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

Milos wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:51 pm Not more than 60k$, as I already wrote. Most of your assumptions are simply wrong. Those Intel Platinums are not more than 5k$ when bought in bulk.
No one uses SAS any more. That's a thing of the past. Enterprise systems use NVMe cards. And they are not at all that expensive.
And his system is a hobby system, not a bank server so he doesn't need RAID6 or other enterprise crap. RAID0 is more than enough with SATA HDDs for slow storage. And NVMe's for fast (memory) storage.
The price without HDDs were around $90K, note that 8x Platinums are not "bulk", and maybe you don't want to install slower DIMM speed than max supported. Electronics tend to become cheaper over time, but as of now, if you can make such a system under $60K, I'll buy in bulks, disassemble them and sell the parts. :D
Milos

Post by Milos »

noobpwnftw wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:29 pm
Milos wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:51 pm Not more than 60k$, as I already wrote. Most of your assumptions are simply wrong. Those Intel Platinums are not more than 5k$ when bought in bulk.
The price without HDDs were around $90K, note that 8x Platinums are not "bulk", and maybe you don't want to install slower DIMM speed than max supported. Electronics tend to become cheaper over time, but as of now, if you can make such a system under $60K, I'll buy in bulks, disassemble them and sell the parts. :D
I guess you didn't build it yourself but ordered from the guys that built it like www.thinkmate.com or similar. These guys charge like crazy for everything especially memory.
For selfbuilding problem is that there is only one MB rack that supports 8-way Platinums - Supermicro 7089P-TR4T that is 20k$. That is what raises the price. However, once you buy the rack you only need CPUs, RAM and SSD/HDD. Nothing else.
So lets see, 8168s are currently 5900 on Amazon. Cheapest memory you can find is 600$ for 64GB RDIMM 2600 (fastest that goes with your config).
So 8x5900+24x600+20000 = 82k$ w/o HDDs.
I agree difference is small to 90k$, but again this is just taking components from Amazon which is definitively not the cheapest way to do it.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:55 am
phhnguyen wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:35 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:36 pm Just the CPUs are $50K.
Plus RAM, hard disks, mainboard... => about $70K?

Amazing that a $70K computer has completed a similar job in almost a same period (5-6 months) which Lomonosov supercomputer which is 75 tons and worth $63M (900 times more expensive)
I guess $100K.
Probably at least 1.5 TB RAM (since you cannot build the 7 man files with 1 TB). I guess $30K for that and more if he has 2TB.
The disk drives will be SAS and really expensive too. I make a wild guess of $5000 for that.
Those kind of systems tend to be overbuilt with redundant high-end everything (high speed raid cards, high speed network cards, between 2 and 4 one kilowatt or more power supplies) etc.

Anyway, I won't be buying one of those any time soon.
Soon you won't need to. Just download latest stockfish for free.
(lol)
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

we need some ELO gains benchmarking now :D
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Yes really stunning achievement! Note, Lomonosov skipped 6v1 endgames so this makes Syzygy the first truly complete 7-piece tablebase!!
Jouni