If you could buy any single CPU system for chess . . .

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Re: If you could buy any single CPU system for chess . . .

Post by ouachita »

AndrewGrant wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm
ouachita wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:54 pm Milos is probably talking about the cost of building a system himself. I don't have those skills or knowledge.
If your footer actually means you have a PhD, then you are smart enough to watch a youtube video and build your own system.

Theres very few things to screw up when building.
I know enough to know what I don't know, and that it's a job best done by a professional, not an amatuer.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
brianr

Post by brianr »

AndrewGrant wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm
ouachita wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:54 pm Milos is probably talking about the cost of building a system himself. I don't have those skills or knowledge.
If your footer actually means you have a PhD, then you are smart enough to watch a youtube video and build your own system.

Theres very few things to screw up when building.
It is less a question of smarts, and more of dexterity and experience. I have built several PCs from components, and you _can_ ruin the cpu chip or something else fairly easily. Get a tool with a magnetic tip because you will drop a tiny screw someplace awkward. I prefer to do the assembly with my son as I often need a third hand, but then again I am nearly hopeless with things mechanical/electrical/plumbing.

My suggestion is to just ask around and find someone to give you a hand. Like many things, it is remarkably easy, _after_ you have done it at least once. If you know any gamers, many of them build their rigs and a high-end machine learning system is somewhat similar, at least the expensive gpu card.
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

Like most endeavors in life, you need good instruction and experience
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE