What is the highest piece odd that Komodo or Stockfish can give the top 4 GMs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

What is the highest piece odd that Komodo or Stockfish can give the top 4 GMs

Post by Chessqueen »

I was wondering if any matches has been done with either Komodo or Stockfhish with either a Rook or Bishop odd against any of the top GM above 2800+in standard chess ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R1mIJ80CJg

In your opinion do you think that either Komodo or Stockfish can give a Rook or a Bishop Odd to the top four Fide Rated player in standard chess?
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Uri Blass

Re: What is the highest piece odd that Komodo or Stockfish can give the top 4 GMs

Post by Uri Blass »

I am certain that the answer is no.

I believe that even I can beat the perfect player with rook odds in standard chess(assuming the perfect player cannot hypnotize me).

Bishop or knight is clearly too much to give to a top player.
If you talk about 2800 players and standard chess(let say 90+30) then I think that 2 random pawns or knight for 2 random pawns may be more interesting.
jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Re: What is the highest piece odd that Komodo or Stockfish can give the top 4 GMs

Post by jorose »

Hard to say what the largest handicap is.

There was a recent rapid handicap match between Komodo MCTS and MVL which included handicaps such as 2 pawns, exchange + pawn and knight g1 for pawn f7. Komodo won the match with 4.5 - 1.5 (I am ignoring the non-handicap games where they set Komodo to weaker "levels").

There is certainly a difference between rapid and standard time controls and the difference between knight for nothing and knight for f7 pawn should also be pretty big. That being said, I could not claim with any degree of confidence that top GMs are far off from losing with clean minor piece odds.
-Jonathan
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

I believe that many humans with expert or master ratings need to be extremely vigilant not to lose to a top engine that gives him odds of a queen.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

S.Taylor wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:24 pm I believe that many humans with expert or master ratings need to be extremely vigilant not to lose to a top engine that gives him odds of a queen.
You are joking...
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Guenther wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:27 pm
S.Taylor wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:24 pm I believe that many humans with expert or master ratings need to be extremely vigilant not to lose to a top engine that gives him odds of a queen.
You are joking...
I wasn't. But i might be wrong.
I am between 2200 and 2350 and last time i was sparing, i got the feeling that no human below gm can afford to be careless even for a moment.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

jorose wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:06 pm Hard to say what the largest handicap is.

There was a recent rapid handicap match between Komodo MCTS and MVL which included handicaps such as 2 pawns, exchange + pawn and knight g1 for pawn f7. Komodo won the match with 4.5 - 1.5 (I am ignoring the non-handicap games where they set Komodo to weaker "levels").

There is certainly a difference between rapid and standard time controls and the difference between knight for nothing and knight for f7 pawn should also be pretty big. That being said, I could not claim with any degree of confidence that top GMs are far off from losing with clean minor piece odds.
"f" pawn odd handcap is not that big!!

Many engines still get draw with "f" pawn odd against top 6 engines.

SF even managed to lose Leela with "f" pawn odd. (the only engine that lose with that handicap in cccc) :P
MikeGL

Post by MikeGL »

Chessqueen wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:17 pm I was wondering if any matches has been done with either Komodo or Stockfhish with either a Rook or Bishop odd against any of the top GM above 2800+in standard chess ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R1mIJ80CJg

In your opinion do you think that either Komodo or Stockfish can give a Rook or a Bishop Odd to the top four Fide Rated player in standard chess?
I think I read somewhere on this forum, that the best human on this planet is just around 2600 or 2700 CEGT or CCRL (standard time control) rating. I think that would be a starting point, set SF9 and let it give odds to 2700 CCRL engines and give random pawn or random piece odds, and see the result.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

i strongly believe that this version of Komodo had a Bug, what is the opinion of Larry Kaufman on this, since the latest Komodo can reverse the score against MVL or even give MVL 2 pawns handicap or Knight to one pawn handicap https://www.chess.com/news/view/vachier ... ing-komodo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exgVvSauvhQ
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

MikeGL wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 am
Chessqueen wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:17 pm I was wondering if any matches has been done with either Komodo or Stockfhish with either a Rook or Bishop odd against any of the top GM above 2800+in standard chess ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R1mIJ80CJg

I think I read somewhere on this forum, that the best human on this planet is just around 2600 or 2700 CEGT or CCRL (standard time control) rating. I think that would be a starting point, set SF9 and let it give odds to 2700 CCRL engines and give random pawn or random piece odds, and see the result.
This is clearly the wrong way to test because 2600 or 2700 CCRL engines are different than humans.

Engines do not know that it is better to simplify and how to simplify that is not only about trading pieces but about not allowing the opponent to get unbalanced positions(for example passed pawns for both sides).