Schooner 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

D Sceviour

Re: Schooner 2

Post by D Sceviour »

Dann Corbit wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 pm Something odd when analyzing.

conversation is attached.
Analyze does not work in UCI. UCI was installed as a special courtesy for game testers, but it may be creating more problems than it was intended to solve.
I cannot understand WB, and need more information. Turn on "Periodic Updates" and see what happens. It works fine in my version of Arena 3.5.

Periodic Updates is a Winboard option, and I am not sure where this is in Arena.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Continuing to be impressed with Schooner. Not because of its strength. Stockfish and Komodo are much stronger. But the style...very human like. You can think Carlsen is playing.
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

menniepals wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:12 am Continuing to be impressed with Schooner. Not because of its strength. Stockfish and Komodo are much stronger. But the style...very human like. You can think Carlsen is playing.
Thank you for your appreciation.

This version of Schooner is probably much too strong for human play, even for chess masters. For normal chess players, I suggest downloading one of the old releases of Schooner and make a skill adjustment in the GUI. The older versions have an aggressive attacking style.

In the future it might be interesting to have an "understandable" game style. I cannot follow a Stockfish game. I have no idea what it is thinking. Its moves are painful electronic contortions. An example of understandability is the Schooner-Fritz game posted by carldaman above. The game plan for white is fairly easy to follow.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

The games of this engine is easier to follow. I am really learning chess from this engine. Other engines will just impress you but are too ridiculously difficult to understand. This engine I hope will be develop more and more.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

D Sceviour wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:33 am
menniepals wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:12 am Continuing to be impressed with Schooner. Not because of its strength. Stockfish and Komodo are much stronger. But the style...very human like. You can think Carlsen is playing.
Thank you for your appreciation.

This version of Schooner is probably much too strong for human play, even for chess masters. For normal chess players, I suggest downloading one of the old releases of Schooner and make a skill adjustment in the GUI. The older versions have an aggressive attacking style.

In the future it might be interesting to have an "understandable" game style. I cannot follow a Stockfish game. I have no idea what it is thinking. Its moves are painful electronic contortions. An example of understandability is the Schooner-Fritz game posted by carldaman above. The game plan for white is fairly easy to follow.
Thank you for the engine. Right now it is holding well against ASM.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

1. I disagree that SF and Komodo are "much" stronger. They're stronger, but not by much it seems.

2. Yes! Like Carlsen, this new Schooner is a fine attacker, slippery as hell when under attack and relentless in technical middlegames and endgames.

And as mentioned somewhere else in this post, even playing as a 3200+ level, Schooner's chess is fluid, logical and consistent in style.

Every move is understandable - unlike diabolical geniuses like Stockfish whose moves sometimes make little sense. :lol:

I haven't been this impressed since lc0 began its rise. 8-)
Jamal Bubker

Post by Jamal Bubker »

Hi Dennis !

Thanks very much this great release !!

Your engine is amazingly strong !!
A huge jump in elo !

Like Brendan and others say, I love its playing style, for sure very human-like 8-)

Last Brendan's statements are very relevant :D
Nothing else to add ;)

nice job !
jmartus

Post by jmartus »

I tried downloading one of the older version and I don't see any exe files to import it in a gui.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

jmartus wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:31 am I tried downloading one of the older version and I don't see any exe files to import it in a gui.
Just rename them yourself by attaching the '.exe' file extension.
(the readme clearly says that they are intended to be exe files)

I guess Dennis had to remove the file extension at one point, because google sites
are/were too restrictive, or produced false positives with their crappy virus software.

<rant mode=on>
Not long ago e.g. they declared rwbc as being unsafe, because I had zipped freechess files (uci program)
for download there and I could not convince their amateur support that those are just
false positives, because of an exe packer.
I had to use a free demo unpacker for a part of them and even had to delete the others,
for which I found no free unpacker version...
</rant mode>
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:35 am
1. I disagree that SF and Komodo are "much" stronger. They're stronger, but not by much it seems.

Schooner still has to win a game in my box against SF and its derivatives. It is having problems particularly against Raubfisch. I eventually have to stop the matches. I am convinced SF is much stronger. But still very impressed with Schooner. Plays human like. Raubfisch I think plays closest to a human compared to other Stockfish derivatives.

2. Yes! Like Carlsen, this new Schooner is a fine attacker, slippery as hell when under attack and relentless in technical middlegames and endgames.

And as mentioned somewhere else in this post, even playing as a 3200+ level, Schooner's chess is fluid, logical and consistent in style.

Every move is understandable - unlike diabolical geniuses like Stockfish whose moves sometimes make little sense. :lol:

I haven't been this impressed since lc0 began its rise. 8-)