Bobby Was not crazy but a pure genius.............

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Bobby Was not crazy but a pure genius.............

Post by Chessqueen »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIE3CFNpZ5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPuazOwq0aw

In modern times, Bobby Fischer won 20 consecutive games, all in competitions at late stages of the world championship cycle. (Some commentators give this as 19, electing not to count Fischer's game against Oscar Panno, who resigned after Fischer's first move as a protest). Fischer won his last seven games at the 1970 Palma de Mallorca Interzonal (including the one-move game against Panno), then swept Mark Taimanov 6–0 in the quarterfinals followed by Bent Larsen by the same score in the semifinals. In the Candidates Match final, Fischer beat former World Champion Tigran Petrosian in the first game before Petrosian snapped the streak by winning the second match game.

That streak finally ended in the second game, when Pettrosian defeated Fischer and, apparently, put an end to, reports and speculation that Were going wildly around the chess world and were even beginning to spill over to the rest of the world: that there was some strange hypnotic power about Fischer; that there was mystic force that seemed to erode his opponents’ intellectual powers and even weaken them physically.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Dann Corbit

Re: Bobby Was not crazy but a pure genius.............

Post by Dann Corbit »

Chessqueen wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:41 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIE3CFNpZ5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPuazOwq0aw

In modern times, Bobby Fischer won 20 consecutive games, all in competitions at late stages of the world championship cycle. (Some commentators give this as 19, electing not to count Fischer's game against Oscar Panno, who resigned after Fischer's first move as a protest). Fischer won his last seven games at the 1970 Palma de Mallorca Interzonal (including the one-move game against Panno), then swept Mark Taimanov 6–0 in the quarterfinals followed by Bent Larsen by the same score in the semifinals. In the Candidates Match final, Fischer beat former World Champion Tigran Petrosian in the first game before Petrosian snapped the streak by winning the second match game.

That streak finally ended in the second game, when Pettrosian defeated Fischer and, apparently, put an end to, reports and speculation that Were going wildly around the chess world and were even beginning to spill over to the rest of the world: that there was some strange hypnotic power about Fischer; that there was mystic force that seemed to erode his opponents’ intellectual powers and even weaken them physically.
Bobby was both crazy and pure genius.
A great chess player.
His books on playing chess were wonderful.
But he was an anti-Semitic raving lunatic.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

I think he was mentally ill.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Leo wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:55 am I think he was mentally ill.
Can someone have so much wisdom in something like chess and still be mentally ill?
Why? Is chess like a kind of dream life?
Or what we talking about?
Psycopath? Sociopath? Schitzoid? Narcissist?

I remember once seeing in a videoclip of him grabbing his mother by the collar and saying "give me my money"!
Not that i would ever have done that, but if that expression was permitted in his range of actions, then perhaps that was merely a way of demonstrating intellectually how he viewed his mother not putting that money in his hands?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

S.Taylor wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:53 am
Leo wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:55 am I think he was mentally ill.
Can someone have so much wisdom in something like chess and still be mentally ill?
Why? Is chess like a kind of dream life?
Or what we talking about?
Psycopath? Sociopath? Schitzoid? Narcissist?

I remember once seeing in a videoclip of him grabbing his mother by the collar and saying "give me my money"!
Not that i would ever have done that, but if that expression was permitted in his range of actions, then perhaps that was merely a way of demonstrating intellectually how he viewed his mother not putting that money in his hands?
Examine transcripts of his radio broadcasts from the Philippine Islands.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

I used to hear some of them, and i just thought they were a bit funny, of an embittered old man speaking a load of nonsense. I never thought it was anything serious or in any way rational. Just a random jumble of hogwash.