What I wish for - to programmers

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eduard
Full name: N.N.

What I wish for - to programmers

Post by Eduard »

In the last 3 years I played only for myself, for my own human performance. No Computer Chess! But I love Computer Chess, and so I started it again a few months ago. As first I taked my old laptop, which I had not used for a long time. A Core Duo 2,4 Ghz from year 2011! As next I created a new opening book, but with old computer chess games played at playchess.com (of the year 2009, games can be downloaded on my homepage). I wanted to test, what a new hardware (and opening book?) perhaps I needed in the future, not to lose on playchess.com?! Now have completed a little test, with total 200 games. As proof have all the games in a database. As engine I used stockfish and those based on stockfish. It was just blitz, but faster computers have even more advantage. I have not losed many games. And after I tuned my little match-book (only a bit), I did not lose last 13 games.

What was my secret? Well, my opening book was created only with draw computer chess games! Draw games, but good games. :P Configuration of software and hardware was already in 2011. New was only the engine! The result in 2011 would not have been better. Chess is a draw game. It's also good that we have chess theory. Opening theory is as important as the endgame.

I remember the time when I played with the Chess Genius. Genius already had his own tournament book. And even a power book. Had he not had a book, it would have been hard to beat a Garry Kasparov. But so Kasparov could not know what the genius plays!

The later engines were all created on the same basis. That's why it's important to go this way. Stockfish will never become a Lc0. I think the project Lc0 is wonderful. But I also like to play with Stockfish and Komodo, etc.

The 7 pieces endgame databases are already here. And maybe more soon. At least I will create a good match book. And if I just do a draw, very good! I'm planning a better hardware, but that alone can not stand against Lc0 in the feature.

What I wish for:
That the programmers of alpha/beta programs continue as before. Please continue to tune your programs to known openings, endgames, etc.

I know that you know all that! With the hype around Lc0 I wanted to say it anyway.

And: I have no problem to playing draw. And as we see, World Champions too. Chess is ultimately a draw game when you play exactly. Or not?
AdminX

Re: What I wish for - to programmers

Post by AdminX »

Eduard wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:11 am And: I have no problem to playing draw. And as we see, World Champions too. Chess is ultimately a draw game when you play exactly. Or not?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I really love this part! :lol: :lol: :lol: Even if that spectacle really pissed me off.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."