A tribute to community

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

maksimKorzh
Full name: Maksim Korzh

A tribute to community

Post by maksimKorzh »

Hi all! I'd like to introduce my work dedicated to beginner chess programmers looking for some sort of resources to get started with. The great chess programming community gave me so much, so I want to give it something back, in hope that this would be useful.

https://github.com/maksimKorzh/nibble-chess

I mean really, thank you all guys!
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Re: A tribute to community

Post by Roland Chastain »

Hello!

Very nice. I like that kind of code.

One detail. Under Windows 10, with MinGW GCC 4.8.1, I had to add "-std=c99" in the command line.

Another detail. I tried several settings to have the Unicode characters correctly displayed in the console. I changed the police to NSimSun, and entered the command "chcp 65001" before starting nibble-chess. It works, but the pieces symbols aren't aligned with the empty squares. If someone knows a better solution...

Regards.

Roland
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
maksimKorzh

Post by maksimKorzh »

Roland Chastain wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:57 am Hello!

Very nice. I like that kind of code.

One detail. Under Windows 10, with MinGW GCC 4.8.1, I had to add "-std=c99" in the command line.

Another detail. I tried several settings to have the Unicode characters correctly displayed in the console. I changed the police to NSimSun, and entered the command "chcp 65001" before starting nibble-chess. It works, but the pieces symbols aren't aligned with the empty squares. If someone knows a better solution...

Regards.

Roland
Thanks for your feedback, Roland. I work under linux and don't have those issues you've mentioned, i'll build it on windows and update repo's compile section
maksimKorzh

Post by maksimKorzh »

For those who is testing on windows please use this reference:
https://github.com/maksimKorzh/nibble-c ... s(ASCII).c

In this version pieces are displayed in classical manner via ASCII characters.

I don't have a native windows machine and can test only via wine, unfortunately I couldn't display unicode chars correctly after a couple of hours trying, that's shame I know, so I'm sorry about that.

If anybody would find the solution codewise(I mean without tuning windows itself) please let me know - pull request on github or just share your version and I'll add it manually. Also if somebody compiles nibble-chess natively on windows - please also let me know and be kind to share your version - I'll attach it in release section and give you a credit by mentioning as contributor.

The ideas behind H.G. Muller's micro-Max implemented in nibble-chess are extremely efficient(probably not in my implementation though) so I believe it's possible to develop a pretty strong engine (as for array based up to 2400ELO I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong). I'd be glad if someone does that. See https://github.com/maksimKorzh/nibble-c ... n_move32.c to follow my thoughts. This is basically complete move generator(90% bug free) and intended to be used as a bases for the further development. I share this file just to give an idea how powerful the potential of micro-Max design concepts are. I don't continue the development myself due to being interested more like in minimalist software rather than in making strong chess programs(in my life I'm aiming the gist of things via minimalism, not force), but it would be really interesting to watch if these code snippets grow in something more. I'll be the happiest man on earth if somebody gets some use out of my work. I'm available for source/ideas related questions and will try to help anyone of you who tries to use my materials for their own purposes.

P.S. you can try alternatively use cygwin to compile and run nibble-chess unicode version.
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

maksimKorzh wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:52 pmAlso if somebody compiles nibble-chess natively on windows - please also let me know and be kind to share your version - I'll attach it in release section and give you a credit by mentioning as contributor.
Hello! Here is nibble-chess ASCII, compiled with GCC 4.8.1 under Windows 10. :wink:
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
maksimKorzh

Post by maksimKorzh »

Thanks, Roland. Release is now available at https://github.com/maksimKorzh/nibble-chess/releases and your name is already in contributors list