Alphazero news

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Alphazero news

Post by Vinvin »

Stockfish 8 ???
They really fear real Stockfish ...
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Yes their data and match setup with the much faster hardware used by A0. Suggest it is time to get off the Google A0 hype train.

A +52 ELO advantage shown in their results playing Stockfish under Googles testing conditions is nothing.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
jp

Post by jp »

mwyoung wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:20 pm I think they made a correction and said the new 1000 game match was with a newer version of stockfish. But +52 elo is what you can get with stockfish 11. At a much cheaper price then the hardware A0 is running.
The paper says SF8. Was there a correction to that? They then say A0 won an "additional match" against the official 13 January version of SF without telling what the score was. (Was it SF9 on 13 January?)
Last edited by jp on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
matthewlai

Post by matthewlai »

Vinvin wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:26 pm
Stockfish 8 ???
Unfortunately we weren't able to get our time machine up and running before we finished writing the paper in order to test against engines that hadn't been released yet. But don't worry, we are working hard on that!
Disclosure: I work for DeepMind on the AlphaZero project, but everything I say here is personal opinion and does not reflect the views of DeepMind / Alphabet.
Sesse

Post by Sesse »

One thing that's very curious is that when AZ is black, it almost always draws. Is this an artifact of the openings, or is it somehow just very fond of equalizing?
sovaz1997

Post by sovaz1997 »

matthewlai wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:00 am
Stockfish 8 ???
Unfortunately we weren't able to get our time machine up and running before we finished writing the paper in order to test against engines that hadn't been released yet. But don't worry, we are working hard on that!
Do you have results against modern versions? Against Stockfish 9, for example?
Zevra 2 is my chess engine. Binary, source and description here: https://github.com/sovaz1997/Zevra2
Zevra v2.5 is last version of Zevra: https://github.com/sovaz1997/Zevra2/releases
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

They played a later version of stockfish. A January version but they did not give the score other then A0 won.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Stockfish 8 ???
While I sympathize with that statement, releasing A0 source code and networks for anyone to test sounds better.
Many will not be satisfied with in-house testing with supposedly fair conditions.
duncan

Post by duncan »

Stockfish 8 ???
Do you have an opinion on whether alpha zero would beat the latest version of stockfish ?
Last edited by duncan on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Stockfish 8 ???
Great news ! Waiting for the big fight ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: