Alphazero news

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
S.Taylor
Posts: 8098
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:25 am
Location: Jerusalem Israel

Re: Alphazero news

Post by S.Taylor » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 pm

sovaz1997 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 pm
Yes, SF8 on second place
It might not beat the komodo which was out then or a bit later.

Komodo totally dominated SF, 3-4 years ago or more.

sovaz1997
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:37 am

Re: Alphazero news

Post by sovaz1997 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:14 pm

S.Taylor wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 pm
sovaz1997 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 pm
Yes, SF8 on second place
It might not beat the komodo which was out then or a bit later.

Komodo totally dominated SF, 3-4 years ago or more.
I am not sure that Komodo was superior to the Stockfish. Have any exact data?
Zevra chess engine
Binary, source and description here: https://gitlab.com/sovaz1997/zevra2/tags

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: Alphazero news

Post by Guenther » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:48 pm

sovaz1997 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:14 pm
S.Taylor wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 pm
sovaz1997 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 pm
Yes, SF8 on second place
It might not beat the komodo which was out then or a bit later.

Komodo totally dominated SF, 3-4 years ago or more.
I am not sure that Komodo was superior to the Stockfish. Have any exact data?
I did a quick chart with CCRL data. I hope it is somehow readable. I didn't remember immediately how to fit best
two entities into the same time scale in one graph, when preparing the data.

Note that I omitted the versions with 4cpu because this would be confusing and those who had no ratings in both
categories 40/40 and 40/4 - for the graph I used an average rating of both categories.
Also there are more Komodo entries due to mostly no testing of dev versions of SF.
Last caveat, this is only about Komodo and SF (as the post suggested) and Houdini and Rybka are not represented.

Anyhow one still can conclude that Komodo really was above SF between 2011-08 and 2013-10, while since 2013-11 SF always
was in front of Komodo beginning with the SF DD release.

Yet, I wouldn't call this 'totally dominating' for that period.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... O-001ibS9k

http://rwbc-chess.de/pics/chart.png
Image

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 8685
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm

Re: Alphazero news

Post by Laskos » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Guenther wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:48 pm
sovaz1997 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:14 pm
S.Taylor wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 pm
sovaz1997 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 pm
Yes, SF8 on second place
It might not beat the komodo which was out then or a bit later.

Komodo totally dominated SF, 3-4 years ago or more.
I am not sure that Komodo was superior to the Stockfish. Have any exact data?
I did a quick chart with CCRL data. I hope it is somehow readable. I didn't remember immediately how to fit best
two entities into the same time scale in one graph, when preparing the data.

Note that I omitted the versions with 4cpu because this would be confusing and those who had no ratings in both
categories 40/40 and 40/4 - for the graph I used an average rating of both categories.
Also there are more Komodo entries due to mostly no testing of dev versions of SF.
Last caveat, this is only about Komodo and SF (as the post suggested) and Houdini and Rybka are not represented.

Anyhow one still can conclude that Komodo really was above SF between 2011-08 and 2013-10, while since 2013-11 SF always
was in front of Komodo beginning with the SF DD release.

Yet, I wouldn't call this 'totally dominating' for that period.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... O-001ibS9k

http://rwbc-chess.de/pics/chart.png
Image
TCEC Superfinals? Have to check. Until Lazy SMP was introduced in Sf, Komodo beat systematically Sf.

Henk
Posts: 5479
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Alphazero news

Post by Henk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Too lazy to read this thread. But stockfish 10 unstable in giving scores when evaluating positions during opening phase. Jumping for instance from say 0.2 to 0.8 and back too often. Don't know if that holds for Komodo too. But it is quite annoying.

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: Alphazero news

Post by Guenther » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Guenther wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:48 pm

Last caveat, this is only about Komodo and SF (as the post suggested) and Houdini and Rybka are not represented.
Added Houdini, Rybka, Fruit and Shredder to the graph...
(Shredder 9-64 data is extrapolated to CCRL from GURL data, because it is not available there)

The graph starts now at early 2005.

corres
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Alphazero news

Post by corres » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Henk wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:57 pm
Too lazy to read this thread. But stockfish 10 unstable in giving scores when evaluating positions during opening phase. Jumping for instance from say 0.2 to 0.8 and back too often. Don't know if that holds for Komodo too. But it is quite annoying.
I propose you to switch off the contempt totally.
For this you should modify the source of Stockfish because dynamic contempt is non-switchable.

jp
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Alphazero news

Post by jp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:57 am

yanquis1972 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:22 pm
after 93 games at 5+5, test30 is stable at -70 elo vs SF10 & -21 elo vs SF10+book (perfect2017/2018). will attach pgn's later, going to try to get a decent sample of SF10 vs SF10+book results.
Any more news, yanquis?

WuShock
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Alphazero news

Post by WuShock » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:36 pm


Leo
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Re: Alphazero news

Post by Leo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:03 pm

matthewlai wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:15 am
Daniel Shawul wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:35 pm
matthewlai wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:00 pm
Vinvin wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 pm
Stockfish 8 ???
They really fear real Stockfish ...
Unfortunately we weren't able to get our time machine up and running before we finished writing the paper in order to test against engines that hadn't been released yet. But don't worry, we are working hard on that!
While I sympathize with that statement, releasing A0 source code and networks for anyone to test sounds better.
Many will not be satisfied with in-house testing with supposedly fair conditions.
That would be good, but it would also be a lot of work for us (AZ is tightly-coupled with DM and Google's systems) for not really much value to the scientific community. We feel that it's our ideas and algorithms that are important, not our implementation. That's why we have published all the algorithms we developed in detail, with almost-runnable pseudo-code, so that they can be replicated easily. And who knows, maybe someone will come up with a better implementation than we did! I am personally really excited about what Leela has already achieved, and hopefully it won't be long before it will be at the level of AlphaZero!
It looks like it will be a long time.
AMD fan.

Post Reply