Linux friendly engines at all levels

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

flok
Full name: Folkert van Heusden

Re: Linux friendly engines at all levels

Post by flok »

Embla is primarily developed on linux.
2.0.0 is ~2174 elo
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Fairy-Max is fully Linux compliant, and is even available as Debian package or from the repositories of most Linux distros as binary package.
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

You can pick one of the older versions of Zurichess. Binaries here: http://www.zurichess.xyz/downloads/

The last version is close to 2900, but previous versions are in the desired Elo range.
abulmo2
Full name: Richard Delorme

Post by abulmo2 »

Also, several old engines have been compiled for Linux by Jim Ablett and are available here:

http://kirr.homeunix.org/chess/engines/ ... ENGINES%20++/
Richard Delorme
Volodya
Full name: Cédric Beaume

Post by Volodya »

Dear all,

Thank you for all your replies. I was pleasantly surprised to see the response rate! This looks like a very vibrant community indeed.

I am working through your replies and, so far, I believe I only had one issue: I did not have the LLVM gold plugin for DUMB (I am trying to keep the installs as light as possible).

Thanks,

V.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

Volodya wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:49 pm Dear all,

Thank you for all your replies. I was pleasantly surprised to see the response rate! This looks like a very vibrant community indeed.

I am working through your replies and, so far, I believe I only had one issue: I did not have the LLVM gold plugin for DUMB (I am trying to keep the installs as light as possible).

Thanks,

V.
You can try to compile without -flto
Volodya

Post by Volodya »

xr_a_y wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:17 pm
Volodya wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:49 pm Dear all,

Thanks,

V.
You can try to compile without -flto
Thanks for the suggestion. It indeed works, modulo the deletion of the appropriate commands in the makefile. This is something I did not want to do at first because it feels as an alteration to the engine intended by the developer. Anyway, since it's done, here is the makefile I used for successful compilation (in case this can help anyone):

Code: Select all

#
# Makefile to compile dumb
#

SRC = dumb.d util.d board.d eval.d move.d search.d

DC = ldc2

#lcd2
FFLAGS = -O3 -release -singleobj -w -dw -dip25
DFLAGS = -O0 -g -gc -dip25
PFLAGS = -O1 -w -dw -dip25
CFLAGS = $(PFLAGS) -cov

# executable target
EXE = dumb

pgo:$(SRC)
	$(MAKE) clean
	$(DC) $(FFLAGS) $(SRC)

debug:$(SRC)
	$(DC) $(DFLAGS) $(SRC)

cov:$(SRC)
	$(DC) $(CFLAGS) $(SRC)

clean:
	$(RM) *.o *.profraw *.profdata *.lst
Volodya

Post by Volodya »

Evert wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:38 pm Might I suggest though that you use something like Stockfish or Komodo at time odds? You want to spend. CPU time on your program, afterall.
Thanks for the suggestions, Evert. May I ask you to precise the above sentences? I did not quite get what you meant. I do have Stockfish 8 installed, but I have a long way to go (if that is even feasible) before being able to get anything useful from games against such fine engines, even in one of their old versions.

V.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

What he means is that you can use a strong engine (say Stockfish) to simulate a much weaker opponent by allowing it to think only a tiny fraction of the time a truly weak engine would have had to think. It would save you nearly half the CPU time during test games if the opponent would move 100 times faster than the engine under test.
abulmo2
Full name: Richard Delorme

Post by abulmo2 »

Volodya wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:11 pm Thanks for the suggestion. It indeed works, modulo the deletion of the appropriate commands in the makefile. This is something I did not want to do at first because it feels as an alteration to the engine intended by the developer.
You can also use the binary provided in the github repository. Avoiding both flto and pgo will slow down Dumb by about 8% and make it a little bit weaker.
Richard Delorme