End of Era is there: SF is finally beaten!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: End of Era is there: SF is finally beaten!

Post by Dann Corbit »

Carlos777 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:17 pm A 12 games match is meaningless, you can't draw any conclusion from that.
Contests such as TCEC determine a champion.
They do not determine who is strongest (like CCRL / CEGT) but everyone knows that.
Still, it's wonderful chess on incredible hardware. Fabulous entertainment.
But we all know that.
Houdini is the deserving champion.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Post by RubiChess »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:52 am
Carlos777 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:17 pm A 12 games match is meaningless, you can't draw any conclusion from that.
They do not determine who is strongest (like CCRL / CEGT) but everyone knows that.
But we all know that.
Don't forget that this was only the semifinal. Chances are good that Leela will win the final imo.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Yes, but that has no connection to my point.
Contests like TCEC do not show who is strongest.
They name a champion.
Which is not to say that the champion is not worthy.

All of the engines in the TCEC contest are a miracle of skilled, patient, meticulous effort by people of extraordinary mental acuity.
To win such a contest is a feat more amazing than a Usain Bolt sprint.
And that's pretty amazing.

Though the most amazing race I ever saw [by far] was by an Ethiopian woman who fell down in a middle distance race and got up for an incredible finish.

But my view of competition is probably not like most people.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Great job by Houdini and good to see that things are still competitive. Of course SF is probably the strongest engine but this is not testing the strongest engine but rather the winner in this tournament. If the strongest football team should always win the World Cup, Brazil would probably have double its Football World Championship Cups.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:52 am Contests such as TCEC determine a champion.
I don't know about that.

I don't see Leela in CEGT at all, and Leela appears as 122th‑125th place in CCRL, which is clearly wrong.

So CCRL / CEGT don't determine who is the strongest, either.

(I'm not claiming Leela is the strongest, I'm claiming that if Leela was the strongest CCRL / CEGT wouldn't determine it)
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Graham Banks wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:19 pm
Jouni wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:44 pm Houdini 6 won in TCEC cup :shock: .
Random noise.
Quite a LOUD noise.
Any championship of anything is just that.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

[/quote]

I don't know about that.

[/quote]

Easy, If you really would like to know the latest update of Leea elo, you can look at Leela discord, test channel info and also type !sheet. There are lots of sheets from testing at different time control and hardware setting from different testers.

But be aware, Leela developmemt is completely different from Stockfish. In Stockfish, 99% of their resources in development goes into testing, and in Leela 1% of development goes into testing and 99% goes into training.The main reason is that overview of development progress can be seen in Tensor Board( rather than testing individual networks, here and there)

Latest update, as 32930 is already selected for TCEC superfinal, developers encourages testers to invest their resources back into training, there will be fewer test results.
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

Sure, I just think that the title of this topic is too exaggereted.

I think this format is more susceptible to these kind of surprises than the regular format, because more games are played in the later. Good luck to Houdini in the finals. :D
Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:52 am
But we all know that.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

I wonder if the Houdini people sent in an updated version of Houdini and it is now better than SF. :?:
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

No, it was Vers 6.03

btw. Houdini is dead, Robert has another job and he has no time to developement it further.

I read this somewhere.