For fans of old chess computers

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PeterO

Re: For fans of old chess computers

Post by PeterO »

Hello Mr. Huber,

I am a proud owner of the Chess Genius Exclusive chessboard + Chess Link Modul.
Do you plan to connect your programm with the Chess Genius Exclusive? This woul be greeeeeeeeeaaaaaat - we could use the beautiful wooden boar - playing the old computers!! :D :D

Peter
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Engin wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:35 pm i have still the brikett Mephisto III at home : https://schach-computer.info/wiki/index ... phisto_III
is this the same ROM as Mephisto III-S glasgow ?
No, the Mephisto III has a 32kB ROM, whereas the Glasgow has 64kB, and they use completely different CPUs.
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

PeterO wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:03 pm I am a proud owner of the Chess Genius Exclusive chessboard + Chess Link Modul.
Do you plan to connect your programm with the Chess Genius Exclusive? This woul be greeeeeeeeeaaaaaat - we could use the beautiful wooden boar - playing the old computers!! :D :D
Hi Peter,

this MESS-Chess program requires a GUI with UCI/WB support, but if any such GUI would support this Chess Genius Exclusive chessboard,
then of course you could play with this board.
I don't plan to directly support any external boards (like SmartBoard, DGT-Board etc.), so you just need an UCI or WB GUI, which is able
to work with any of these boards (I don't know if any GUI has support for your special Chess Genius Exclusive chessboard?).

Regards,
Franz
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Isn’t hiarcs ios gui supporting the millennium chess board ?
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Yes, Hiarcs for ios supports the Chess Genius Exclusive Board.
Its a great app.

Peter
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Hi Franz
Nice To see your appli back !
I'm always a big fan !
I have a question : how about the Scisys machines ? No émulations are possible ?
There was a lot of very cool machines like :
Super System V , Philidor , chess partner 2000 ... etc
All the best
Dany
Isa download :
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Hi Dany!
Daniel Anulliero wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:34 pm I have a question : how about the Scisys machines ? No émulations are possible ?
well, that depends on the MAME developers, only they can add new hardware drivers.
I'm only writing the additional code to support playing with chess pieces on the board and
using special functions of the chess machines, because I don't have enough knowledge
about hardware to write a completely new driver.

So we have to wait for any new chess drivers from the MAME team, but since they have
changed the MAME system so much in the past, I'm not even sure if such a new driver
would work at all in my old CB-Emu version.

Regards,
Franz
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

F.Huber wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:34 pm Hi Dany!
Daniel Anulliero wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:34 pm I have a question : how about the Scisys machines ? No émulations are possible ?
well, that depends on the MAME developers, only they can add new hardware drivers.
I'm only writing the additional code to support playing with chess pieces on the board and
using special functions of the chess machines, because I don't have enough knowledge
about hardware to write a completely new driver.

So we have to wait for any new chess drivers from the MAME team, but since they have
changed the MAME system so much in the past, I'm not even sure if such a new driver
would work at all in my old CB-Emu version.

Regards,
Franz
Ok thanks for the info Franz !
Anyway It is always a very good appli 😊
All the best
Dany
Isa download :
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I downloaded the MESS-Chess_UCI+WB engines and have been playing them in the Arena interface. I setup a tournament with several of the engines and it seems to work quite well. However after it plays a few games it seems to have a problem where the first move is made and then it goes into some kind of loop of restarting the game over and over. It shows this as the error:

Round 1 of 1: Novag Super Constellation - Fidelity Sensory Chess Challenger 9 (rev. D)
LOOPWATCH-MOVE-ABORTED - after very long movetime
LOOPWATCH currTicks:60.031 AllMovesToEndMilliSeconds:60.000
Game end: * {}

I just restart Arena and I can continue the tournament normally.
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

JohnW wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:10 pm Round 1 of 1: Novag Super Constellation - Fidelity Sensory Chess Challenger 9 (rev. D)
LOOPWATCH-MOVE-ABORTED - after very long movetime
LOOPWATCH currTicks:60.031 AllMovesToEndMilliSeconds:60.000
Game end: * {}
This is an error from Arena, not from MESS-Chess.
You must set the move time in Arena much longer than the move time of the engine(s) in MESS-Chess
to avoid this problem, it's even the best to set Arena's timelimit to 'Infinite'.