Lc0 has forced a computer system upgrade.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mwyoung

Re: Lc0 has forced a computer system upgrade.

Post by mwyoung »

cma6 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:31 pm is there any component where you could cut back on to save money
You could save money with this configuration. And still have a very good system.

AMD 1950x $500
Asus x399 prime mother board. $329
16 GB DDR4 $170
RTX 2060 $350
1 TB SSD.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
jjoshua2

Post by jjoshua2 »

That would be a nice system for the dollar for SF as well as lc0. If you want to only optimize for SF or lc0 you can cut the gpu or cut the cpu alternatively. Even an old quad core can power two 2080s. Just make sure you can clock it at least 4ghz. Ideally 5ghz to power both gpus. And you can use two cheaper gpus for better value, like 2060s or 2070s.
cma6

Post by cma6 »

Thanks to mw and to Joshua. Perhaps I should have been clearer: I am quite willing to spend the money to get the very best system for deep chess analysis, e.g., 64 GB or RAM makes sense, but do not need the cosmetic bells and whistles that gamers go for.

My research on CPUs comes to the same conclusion as mw: that AMD- 2950x gives almost everything that 2990x does but at a much cheaper price. As I know much less about GPUs, I will ask the GPU experts if there is a comparable second best GPU to the Geforce RTX 2080 TI ($1400); and if so, how much worse than the RTX 2080 TI is the second best GPU?
As for O/C, will Asus x399 Prime mob do what Asus - ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha mob will do?
jjoshua2

Post by jjoshua2 »

Two 2080s is certainly much stronger than one 2080 ti. You can see 2 x 2070 sometimes on TCEC bonus and it is faster than a 2080 ti for Leela, (but probably not anything else as it doesn't even support NVLINK/SLI). I do recommend the 2950x and x399 mobo, but if you can wait until October the 30xx CPUs should be out.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

cma6 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 am Thanks to mw and to Joshua. Perhaps I should have been clearer: I am quite willing to spend the money to get the very best system for deep chess analysis, e.g., 64 GB or RAM makes sense, but do not need the cosmetic bells and whistles that gamers go for.

My research on CPUs comes to the same conclusion as mw: that AMD- 2950x gives almost everything that 2990x does but at a much cheaper price. As I know much less about GPUs, I will ask the GPU experts if there is a comparable second best GPU to the Geforce RTX 2080 TI ($1400); and if so, how much worse than the RTX 2080 TI is the second best GPU?
As for O/C, will Asus x399 Prime mob do what Asus - ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha mob will do?
"As for O/C, will Asus x399 Prime mob do what Asus - ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha mob will do?"

It will be able to handle the 2950x, but you will need more fans to cool the VRMs if you OC the 2950x. The power delivery is not as robust as the ROG - Alpha. The ROG Alpha is a second gen x399 mother board designed to handle the 32 core Threadripper.

I needed the ROG Alpha because I test hours none stop. And did not want cooling to be an issue. But I am still running 8 fans in my system. By design I can run my fans at very low noise levels. And still have excellent cooling with 8 quiet fans. Don't cheap out on the cooling design. Or you will have to crank your fans to maximum to try and keep your system cool. And the noise level will become an issue. Without excellent cooling there is no OC. Your system will over heat and start to throttle.

"I know much less about GPUs, I will ask the GPU experts if there is a comparable second best GPU to the Geforce RTX 2080 TI ($1400); and if so, how much worse than the RTX 2080 TI is the second best GPU?"

The next step down from a RTX 2080 ti is the RTX 2080 for around $850 dollors. This card is around 20% to 30% slower then the RTX 2080 ti. The difference in rating running Lc0 would not be very large. And I will warn you now. Buy a GPU that has a very good cooling design. Nothing is harder on a GPU then running Lc0.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
cma6

Building a top system today

Post by cma6 »

Based on expert advice from Joshua and MW, if I buy in the next few months, I will go ahead with RTX 2080; Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha mobo; AMD 2950x; 280 Liqtech TR4 II CPU cooler; & 8 fans.
How are the 8 fans distributed, e.g., for the CPU; for the GPU, or for a mix of both?

The alternative is to wait till 10/2019 for AMD's 30xx CPUs; and maybe then also find a deal in a GPU?
mwyoung

Re: Building a top system today

Post by mwyoung »

cma6 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:38 pm Based on expert advice from Joshua and MW, if I buy in the next few months, I will go ahead with RTX 2080; Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha mobo; AMD 2950x; 280 Liqtech TR4 II CPU cooler; & 8 fans.
How are the 8 fans distributed, e.g., for the CPU; for the GPU, or for a mix of both?

The alternative is to wait till 10/2019 for AMD's 30xx CPUs; and maybe then also find a deal in a GPU?
The fans will be distributed differantly depending on your computer case design. And if you buy a case that can support 140, or 200 mm fans. You will be able to buy less fans vs 120 mm fans. And remember the Rog x399 alpha is a EATX size mother board. And you will need a case that can fit this mother board.