McCain X1 Source Available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Re: McCain X1 Source Available

Post by Eduard »

Thanks!

Question: What does the option bench_KNPS stand for?
Steppenwolf
Full name: Sven Steppenwolf

Post by Steppenwolf »

@Eduard,

geht bei Dir das compilieren von Lc0 auf dem Mac?
maxdeg

Post by maxdeg »

MikeB wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 pm
maxdeg wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:23 am Thanks Mike .. :D
Followed instructions to the letter.
All installed successfully.

#1 .. your compile has issues or should I say my Mac has
#2 .. ./build.sh had issues too

(build/release >> is it a folder ??)

Last login: Mon Feb 11 04:47:11 on ttys000
You have new mail.
➜ ~ ./build.sh
zsh: no such file or directory: ./build.sh

➜ ~ /Users/maxdeg/Desktop/lc0
dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libprotobuf-lite.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/maxdeg/Desktop/lc0
Reason: image not found
[1] 11469 abort /Users/maxdeg/Desktop/lc0

➜ ~

Any ideas please ?
(build/release >> is it a folder ??) -> yes, but you will not see it until after a successful build

zsh: no such file or directory: ./build.sh -> not sure why , but I never use zsh , you might want to try bash - type "bash -l" at the command prompt , type "zsh" again to go back again. I'm just guessing , I'm not a shell expert by any means. You might have to change build.sh permissions to run, "chmod 755 build.sh" ?

dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libprotobuf-lite.dylib - see my posts above ..( which I think you have seen already)
I've made a copy of your instructions - many thanks.
One problem - I cant seem to find the 'subprojects' folder anywhere - Finder/Spotlight - no help.
For sure its hiding in plain sight - point me to it please !
Okay will return to bash.
MikeB

B

Post by MikeB »

maxdeg wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:18 pm

You have new mail.
➜ ~ ./build.sh

➜ ~

Any ideas please ?
(build/release >> is it a folder ??) -> yes, but you will not see it until after a successful build

zsh: no such file or directory: ./build.sh -> not sure why , but I never use zsh , you might want to try bash - type "bash -l" at the command prompt , type "zsh" again to go back again. I'm just guessing , I'm not a shell expert by any means. You might have to change build.sh permissions to run, "chmod 755 build.sh" ?

dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libprotobuf-lite.dylib - see my posts above ..( which I think you have seen already)
One problem - I cant seem to find the 'subprojects' folder anywhere - Finder/Spotlight - no help.
/lc0/build/release/subprojects
maxdeg

Re: B

Post by maxdeg »

MikeB wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:53 pm

You have new mail.
➜ ~ ./build.sh

➜ ~

Any ideas please ?

Thank You .. :D
For some reason that folder does not exist - search via Finder I get dumped somewhere else.
Anyway I wanted a Mac version but its not a big deal as I now have a Windoze system.

Your assistance appreciated.
MikeB

Re: B

Post by MikeB »

maxdeg wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 pm
MikeB wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:53 pm

You have new mail.
➜ ~ ./build.sh

➜ ~

Any ideas please ?

Thank You .. :D
For some reason that folder does not exist - search via Finder I get dumped somewhere else.
Anyway I wanted a Mac version but its not a big deal as I now have a Windoze system.

Your assistance appreciated.
You might not need anything else in folder except for the one I posted ( although I really don't know) - just add the folder and place the missing file in there. It's worth a shot. My folder has 55MB - which really surprised me, but I don't believe all of is necessary for lc0 to run.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

MikeB wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:09 pm Will post some exe's once I have them:
  • Stockfish: current-dev Stockfish ( as of today less 3 non functional commits made today (2/7)
    Stockfish-m: current-dev Stockfish with some additional matefinder code
    McCain-X1: includes all ofcurrent-dev Stockfis with added functional modifications and features
    McCain-X1-m: McCain-X1 with some additional matefinder code
makefile options:
  • The version and features - ae controlled by commenting in and out the 3 lines in red font ( toggle is on uncounted and off with the ### ) pound signs.
### Uncomment the line below for McCain, comment in (add ####) for Stockfish
VERSION=maverick
####
### should be no reason to change anything below here!
### Only McCain with added feature will be publicly distributed , although feel free to play with other versions privately
### features include : Cerebellum book functionality, play by Elo (UCI limit strength), keyboard shortcuts and a few other items
FEATURE1=add_features
### FEATURE2=matefinder

Mike

Thanks for the great new version.

Is it possible to provide options in the makefile (like FEATURE1 and FEATURE2) to essentially produce McCain/Stockfish without any analysis contempt (both static or dynamic) and with or without matefinder? The "Cerebellum book functionality, play by Elo (UCI limit strength), keyboard shortcuts and a few other items" options could also be options that could be included/excluded. Without these extra options and the matefinder code, I guess this would produce something like Dann's version of Stockfish. Would this be too much work for you or is it easy to do?

Thanks.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

JohnS wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 am
  • Stockfish: current-dev Stockfish ( as of today less 3 non functional commits made today (2/7)
    McCain-X1: includes all ofcurrent-dev Stockfis with added functional modifications and features
makefile options:
  • The version and features - ae controlled by commenting in and out the 3 lines in red font ( toggle is on uncounted and off with the ### ) pound signs.
VERSION=maverick
####
### Only McCain with added feature will be publicly distributed , although feel free to play with other versions privately
### features include : Cerebellum book functionality, play by Elo (UCI limit strength), keyboard shortcuts and a few other items
FEATURE1=add_features
### FEATURE2=matefinder

Mike

Is it possible to provide options in the makefile (like FEATURE1 and FEATURE2) to essentially produce McCain/Stockfish without any analysis contempt (both static or dynamic) and with or without matefinder? The "Cerebellum book functionality, play by Elo (UCI limit strength), keyboard shortcuts and a few other items" options could also be options that could be included/excluded. Without these extra options and the matefinder code, I guess this would produce something like Dann's version of Stockfish. Would this be too much work for you or is it easy to do?

Thanks.
I'm removing the matefinder code totally and will issue a hybrid engine that will be a cross between matefinder and McCain.

Dynamic contempt was a clear ELO gainer at LTC, it would be a disservice for me to eliminate that patch. It helps Stockfish to get more aggressive when the score is in favor - that logic makes perfect sense to me and it was proven by the testing and without it Stockfish will play 4 or 5 Elo weaker.

https://github.com/official-stockfish/S ... /pull/1394

As to the other points - one could argue those steps would not be very time consuming - but with limited availability , it would be a chore and make it less fun. Although I'm happy to share, I am my own #1 customer. At any given point in time, I have 50 or 60 games going on and that also takes up a quite bit of my time. So I'm happy to share, and anyone is free to make their own fork and make changes as they see fit. I'm sorry that I am not in a position to accommodate your request.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

MikeB wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:34 am
JohnS wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 am
makefile options:
VERSION=maverick
####
FEATURE1=add_features
### FEATURE2=matefinder

Mike

Thanks.
I'm removing the matefinder code totally and will issue a hybrid engine that will be a cross between matefinder and McCain.

Dynamic contempt was a clear ELO gainer at LTC, it would be a disservice for me to eliminate that patch. It helps Stockfish to get more aggressive when the score is in favor - that logic makes perfect sense to me and it was proven by the testing and without it Stockfish will play 4 or 5 Elo weaker.

https://github.com/official-stockfish/S ... /pull/1394

As to the other points - one could argue those steps would not be very time consuming - but with limited availability , it would be a chore and make it less fun. Although I'm happy to share, I am my own #1 customer. At any given point in time, I have 50 or 60 games going on and that also takes up a quite bit of my time. So I'm happy to share, and anyone is free to make their own fork and make changes as they see fit. I'm sorry that I am not in a position to accommodate your request.
Mike

Thanks for the response. I of course completely understand your position and remain grateful for what you provide to us free!

John