AMD RYZEN 2950 Speed issue

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mwyoung

Re: AMD RYZEN 2950 Speed issue

Post by mwyoung »

I just got home. And wanted to finish getting you setup with what you needed. I added a shot of what your Ryzen master setting should look like. I know you also asked for help with setting up Lc0. Setting up Lc0 is simple. Unzip the program, and the Neural Network file into the same folder. Then use lc0 as your uci engine to setup in the GUI. If you want to use a different NN file. Delete the old file and down load the new file and unzip. And Lc0 will play with the new NN file. I hope this has helped you setting up your new 2950x. Enjoy.....

Ryzen master settings.jpg
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Leela Chess Zero setup.jpg
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

viditchess wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:23 pm Now I get the following speed. Is it normal? I somehow feel that the speed gain should be more than 8k.
Do you realize you have 16 physical cores? You can'r run 2x faster with hyperthreading. ~1.3x is normal.
Martin Sedlak
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

mar wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:52 am
viditchess wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:23 pm Now I get the following speed. Is it normal? I somehow feel that the speed gain should be more than 8k.
Do you realize you have 16 physical cores? You can'r run 2x faster with hyperthreading. ~1.3x is normal.
With Intel hyperthreading you get ~1.3 x the performance. Although I never tried I have a strong feeling that with AMD hyperthreading you get nothing at all. Maybe I'm totally wrong.
viditchess

Post by viditchess »

Yes, I understand that there are 16 Physical Cores. I felt that my rig is underperforming because it's slower than the benchmarks listed here.
http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/amd- ... -bench.php

Without OC they were getting speeds of 34 & 40K Kns.
Grandmaster 2617
viditchess

Post by viditchess »

mwyoung wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 pm
viditchess wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:23 pm I updated the bios and it seems to have helped the case. Now I get the following speed. Is it normal? I somehow feel that the speed gain should be more than 8k.
To get more you will need to overclock the system. And this voids the warranty. But is low risk.

In the ryzen master software since you don't know the bios.

1. Open the ryzen master software
2. Go to profile 1
3. Click the precision boost overdrive button.
4. Set the power limits located under the precision boost overdrive button to 1000, 1000, 500.
5. Save profile and hit apply and test.
This setting allows the processors to overclock itself with full power limits.

Do your benchmark again and enjoy.

Now you can start to overclock your memory.

Go to profile 1 again and start moving the green memory slider a bit at a time. Saving the new profile 1 setting. And hit apply and test. If the system becomes unstable you need to set the memory speed to a lower speed. And again saving your profile. This process will take a bit of time.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the detailed info. Appreciate it :)
My bios had crashed the 1st time I tried to increase the Memory. I had to play around a lot to get it back running. So, I feel a bit anxious to overclock the system now. Although, it is very tempting!

Regarding lc0, I knew the basic setup, but I didn't know the amount of threads to dedicate and the difference between fp16 and cuddnn etc. I started a new thread were I understood some of the things.

P.S- When I run Stockfish at 16cores and LC0 with 2 cores. The temp goes up to 68-70. Is it normal? I use Kraken x62 liquid cooling.

Thanks again for all the help!
Grandmaster 2617
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Joost Buijs wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:53 am
With Intel hyperthreading you get ~1.3 x the performance. Although I never tried I have a strong feeling that with AMD hyperthreading you get nothing at all. Maybe I'm totally wrong.
AMD SMT works fine and you get a nice performance boost with chess engines. And this was tested with the correct way of measuring the speed of a chess engine. Not with NPS, but with time to depth.

When I have time I will give you the speed up of Stockfish. My computer is currently playing a match online.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

viditchess wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:27 pm
mwyoung wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 pm
viditchess wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:23 pm I updated the bios and it seems to have helped the case. Now I get the following speed. Is it normal? I somehow feel that the speed gain should be more than 8k.
To get more you will need to overclock the system. And this voids the warranty. But is low risk.

In the ryzen master software since you don't know the bios.

1. Open the ryzen master software
2. Go to profile 1
3. Click the precision boost overdrive button.
4. Set the power limits located under the precision boost overdrive button to 1000, 1000, 500.
5. Save profile and hit apply and test.
This setting allows the processors to overclock itself with full power limits.

Do your benchmark again and enjoy.

Now you can start to overclock your memory.

Go to profile 1 again and start moving the green memory slider a bit at a time. Saving the new profile 1 setting. And hit apply and test. If the system becomes unstable you need to set the memory speed to a lower speed. And again saving your profile. This process will take a bit of time.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the detailed info. Appreciate it :)
My bios had crashed the 1st time I tried to increase the Memory. I had to play around a lot to get it back running. So, I feel a bit anxious to overclock the system now. Although, it is very tempting!

Regarding lc0, I knew the basic setup, but I didn't know the amount of threads to dedicate and the difference between fp16 and cuddnn etc. I started a new thread were I understood some of the things.

P.S- When I run Stockfish at 16cores and LC0 with 2 cores. The temp goes up to 68-70. Is it normal? I use Kraken x62 liquid cooling.

Thanks again for all the help!
"My bios had crashed the 1st time I tried to increase the Memory. I had to play around a lot to get it back running. So, I feel a bit anxious to overclock the system now. Although, it is very tempting!"

This is normal for you to crash the system. But your memory speed is one of the things holding back your system. Your are currently running at 2166, that is very slow. You payed for 3000. You can recover your system by hitting your clear cmos button on your motherboard. If you can not recover. This will clear all bios settings and allow you to setup your memory again.

If you speed up your memory with the Ryzen master software. You will not have this issue. As the software, if it can not run the test because of a crash. RMS will not save your profile.

"Regarding lc0, I knew the basic setup, but I didn't know the amount of threads to dedicate and the difference between fp16 and cuddnn etc. I started a new thread were I understood some of the things."

Run 2 threads, fp 16, Minibatchsize 1024. You will not have enough memory to run nncachesize this high because you are running with 16 gb of memory. So leave it at default.
My Lc0 Settings.jpg
The other issue hold back your 2950x is your cooler. The x62 is not designed for the 2950x. Your cooler will work, but this is why you are hitting the TJ max of 68c at such a slow clock speed. And you CPU is hitting the thermal wall. The x62 is a good cooler, but does not have a full coverage water block designed for the 2950x.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

I am running at 32 threads, with Lc0. My current temp is 63c.

When I run with only 16 threads, and Lc0. My temp runs 55c.

As I said before you are hitting the TJmax of 68c.

You need a better AIO.

Enermax liqtech tr4 ii 280 is designed for the 2950x with a full coverage water block. This is what you need to be running.

Without proper cooling you will never see the full performance of the 2950x. You will also need many computer case fans. I run 6 case fans, and + 2 for the AIO...

You must remember our systems will pull over 600 watts, you need proper cooling.
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

Joost Buijs wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:53 am
I wouldn't say it's nothing.
I had ran some benchmarks with stockfish 10,all 64 mB on amd tr 1950x.
Best