SSD Problem

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

brianr

SSD Problem

Post by brianr »

A setback. Looking for a good disk recovery utility.

My 1TB SSD had 300+ GB free, but WinRAR and tar could not expand anything saying it was full.
This was under both Win7 and Ubuntu.
The disk was Win7 NTFS. It was strange.

Got the notion that Win7 disk defrag might help. It ran for 3 days...
Things looked OK and the "free" space was back.
WinRAR could expand and use space.

Booted Ubuntu and it said disk errors.
Rebooted Win7 and it ran chkdsk and cleaned up some things, and bingo..."aaaaand it's gone".
Totally empty disk. Nothing critically important lost, but frustrating. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks
ChickenLogic
Full name: kek w

Re: SSD Problem

Post by ChickenLogic »

I don't know what causes this problem but what I do know is that you should never ever run a defrag on a SSD.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

ChickenLogic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:15 pm I don't know what causes this problem but what I do know is that you should never ever run a defrag on a SSD.
+1
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
MikeGL

Post by MikeGL »

brianr wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:55 pm A setback. Looking for a good disk recovery utility.

My 1TB SSD had 300+ GB free, but WinRAR and tar could not expand anything saying it was full.
This was under both Win7 and Ubuntu.
The disk was Win7 NTFS. It was strange.

Got the notion that Win7 disk defrag might help. It ran for 3 days...
Things looked OK and the "free" space was back.
WinRAR could expand and use space.

Booted Ubuntu and it said disk errors.
Rebooted Win7 and it ran chkdsk and cleaned up some things, and bingo..."aaaaand it's gone".
Totally empty disk. Nothing critically important lost, but frustrating. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks
Looks like the ssd disk was cleaned up by win7.
Maye your two OS were correct, not enough space because the compressed rar /tar file was too big once uncompressed and it wont fit on your remaining 300GB.

what happens if you connect it to another linux machine as a slave disk, via usb, are the files really gone?

a registered version of sentinel util can chk ssd disks.
not clear if you dual boot on your ssd with ubuntu and win7 or was the said ssd an external?

ssd have limited lifespan too, better chk it with an ssd util.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

First of all could you please say the brand and model, as well as the rated max TBW?
Not all brands have the same resilience, for example I have red ADATA SSDs failed well before the "expected end of life".
I think it was not a problem with the NAND itself but with other components.
Also how long have you used it would be nice to know.
Have you an utility that reports how many terabytes were written?
Also you should never defrag a SSD.
brianr

Post by brianr »

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76E1T0B/AM
600 TBW

Put in service Oct, 2018
1.1TB total written
.tar file being expanded is about 30GB

I knew it was generally not helpful to defrag an SSD, but I thought it should not hurt.
And, it was working fine under Windows until I booted into Ubuntu.
The SSD is not a system disk. SATA connection.
Samsung Magician reports AHCI deactivated, TRIM enabled, RAPID Mode off

Link:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6820147673
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

That's a very good SSD.
It sure is not a problem with the NAND itself.
It looks like changing OS broke things. It shouldn't happen, but technology can fail spectaculary.

https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/ot ... covery.htm
https://www.techradar.com/best/best-fre ... y-software
brianr

Post by brianr »

Thanks for the info.

I have been booting back and forth for many months with no problems.

I did find the Easeus recovery tool and ran another recovery tool also (MiniTool Power Data Recovery).
There are between roughly 13 and 39 million files on the drive (depending on the tool).
I don't actually need any of the files, other than for keeping historical runs, so I am reluctant to use a non-free tool.

The problem started when creating directories with many thousands of files (input for Leela net training).
I think something just broke in the Windows or Ubuntu directory structure with NTFS.
After the chkdsk run, they were back under Win7. It was when I then booted Ubuntu again that it identified a drive error. It must have set something as the next time I booted Win7 it automatically started chkdsk again, and after that they were gone. Of course, the files are still there as I have been careful not to write anything to that drive.

Looking at Recuva now.