Xilinx UltraScale Questions

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Xilinx UltraScale Questions

Post by Leo »

Can these be used for chess engines? How much are they? Will they hook up with a HEDT? Thanks.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Milos

Re: Xilinx UltraScale Questions

Post by Milos »

Leo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:44 pm Can these be used for chess engines? How much are they? Will they hook up with a HEDT? Thanks.
Sure they can. It doesn't matter how much FPGA's are. It would cost significantly more to make a functional chess engine on one. Coz:
1) Very few ppl (less than a handful) can actually do it
2) It would take a large effort to do it

In other words it's not enthusiasts kind of effort. It's an effort for the well paid experts.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Thanks. I will no longer consider it relevant for chess.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

It would be interesting to know how powerful a TPU one could make from these things, for simulating neural nets.
Milos

Post by Milos »

hgm wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:25 pm It would be interesting to know how powerful a TPU one could make from these things, for simulating neural nets.
Not enough. I did an analysis at one point after the first gen TPU appeared and you could get maybe half TOPS of the first get TPU (like around 50) with the largest Virtex Ultrascale+ chip at that time (I think it was 9P with 2.5 million LUTs and like 7k DSPs).
If you want anything competitive these days in CMOS you need at least 10nm ASIC.
There are however, other ways beyond CMOS ;).