Why does Lets Check" in Fritz sometimes just show "New Engine"?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kirk

Why does Lets Check" in Fritz sometimes just show "New Engine"?

Post by Kirk »

Just curious. Does anyone know why sometimes the engine you are using in Fritz just say "New Engine" and other times with different engines the name does come up?

Is this a program quirk or is it something that needs to be populated in the engine itself to be read by the program?
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
lkaufman

Re: Why does Lets Check" in Fritz sometimes just show "New Engine"?

Post by lkaufman »

It seems that Lc0 shows up as "New Engine" in Fritz, but I don't know why.
Komodo rules!
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

lkaufman wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:30 pm It seems that Lc0 shows up as "New Engine" in Fritz, but I don't know why.
It was like this in Fritz 15 too. Maybe Chessbase has approved engines for that function.

Hmm
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

Let's Check recognizes only SF, Houdini, Komodo, Shredder, Fire, Gull, Rybka and the various Fritzes. Everything else, including SF derivatives like asmFish, Brainfish and SuGaR, shows up as "New Engine". The name recognition scheme seems to be based on straightforward string comparison. So you can easily make it recognize Brainfish by renaming it with a hex editor to Stockfish (same number of chars). "asmFish" is shorter but you can pad the difference with spaces which are ignored.

Back when I was on LC's Top 20 list I did some experimenting in this area and found that you could sometimes make it recognize additional engines by running a server in the Cloud from Fritz 15 and renting it yourself. Got BlackMamba recognized that way, for instance; didn't work for some other engines I tried. The Speed Index took a hit, though.
Tirsa Poppins
CCRL
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

tpoppins wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:15 am Let's Check recognizes only SF, Houdini, Komodo, Shredder, Fire, Gull, Rybka and the various Fritzes. Everything else, including SF derivatives like asmFish, Brainfish and SuGaR, shows up as "New Engine". The name recognition scheme seems to be based on straightforward string comparison. So you can easily make it recognize Brainfish by renaming it with a hex editor to Stockfish (same number of chars). "asmFish" is shorter but you can pad the difference with spaces which are ignored.

Back when I was on LC's Top 20 list I did some experimenting in this area and found that you could sometimes make it recognize additional engines by running a server in the Cloud from Fritz 15 and renting it yourself. Got BlackMamba recognized that way, for instance; didn't work for some other engines I tried. The Speed Index took a hit, though.
I found it also recognizes Texel and Bouquet. I wonder why those two particular engines and not others?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Senpai Chess Engine also is recognized