Little thought experiment

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

Little thought experiment

Post by Werewolf »

On another world there exists a very powerful computer using alien tech.

This chess machine does a true (as in literal) Brute Force search 15 plies deep. It uses current SF E.F

How many plies deep, approximately, would normal SF have to search to equal the strength of the 15 plies alien machine?
xr_a_y

Re: Little thought experiment

Post by xr_a_y »

First, "brute force" can still be alpha/beta, I guess brute force means no forward pruning.

We can try that with depth 6 or 8 or maybe even 10 I guess ...

Is something like a limited depth no-forward-pruning-engine versus a limited time classic-engine seems fine ?
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

SF EF does not seem to do any extensions either it seems, apart from not reducing or pruning. The search horizon is only 7½ full moves. That is not enough to overcome serious horizont effects. I think it would play weakly. It is totally a guess but at first glance I'd say would be easily crushed by the better stand alones if given enough time per move, tournament time control, or maybe something like ten minutes per move, that should be enough for my old CXG Enterprise, which is not really a strong tabletop, to beat Aliens :) Image
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Mmm, if you set Stockfish to fixed depth 15 search but disable all extensions that would be close? Maybe still strong vs human GM but not really SF. 15 ply used to be the depth for the bench function I thought, although now it seems to be lower, just 13 ply, it tests most parts of the search in bench but takes only 2371 miliseconds for the 42 bench positions on my machine. A little more for 15 ply perhaps but if you disable all extensions seriously less than that 2371 miliseconds. 10 minutes for the CXG Enterprise would not be enough but it was not really strong.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Werewolf wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:05 pm On another world there exists a very powerful computer using alien tech.

This chess machine does a true (as in literal) Brute Force search 15 plies deep. It uses current SF E.F

How many plies deep, approximately, would normal SF have to search to equal the strength of the 15 plies alien machine?
Why asking this for an impossibly large depth, instead of simply trying it out for depths that can be reached with present-day technology, and extrapolate from there?
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Werewolf wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:05 pm On another world there exists a very powerful computer using alien tech.

Do you mean stockfish when you also disable extensions or extensions are the same as the extension of stockfish of today?
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

It would take my computer 11,367,235.62 years to make one move to match the alien computer....
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

hgm wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Why asking this for an impossibly large depth, instead of simply trying it out for depths that can be reached with present-day technology, and extrapolate from there?
At low ply levels I imagine tactics would dominate to such an extent it might make comparison hard. Also I don't know of an engine which does a pure BF search with a SF EF. But maybe you do?
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

mwyoung wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:24 am

It would take my computer 11,367,235.62 years to make one move to match the alien computer....
Yeah mine is similar, but they have great tech on planet Cybertron...
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Uri Blass wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:01 pm

Do you mean stockfish when you also disable extensions or extensions are the same as the extension of stockfish of today?
For the Stockfish engine: exactly as SF is today

For the Brute Force engine: SF EF but the search part is only BF with no extensions at all.
(Having said that another version with extensions would be interesting too)