Chess for Android: UCI engine options

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Re: Chess for Android: UCI engine options

Post by abik »

supersharp77 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:40 pmHey Art The Grey Chess for android Icon just disappeared on this new update...Don't like this new one
Just when I think I know exactly what people are going to give me feedback on.... :D

I am really, really sorry you don't like the new icon, but it was also really, really time for an update. On modern devices, the old, low-res icon looked pretty bad, and similar for the the Google Play listing. I personally like the new icon as it reflects the choice of chess pieces in my app better, picking Bryan Whitby's beautiful pieces that he kindly made available to my app.
lealgo
Full name: Leandro Álvarez González

Post by lealgo »

Hi Aart,

Impressive update, congratulations! The UCI Options dialogue works as it should. Still, maybe its usability could be improved if one could access such Options again without having to go back and select "Clear Options". One idea is to remove the "Clear Options" item and replace it with a new "Change Options" that would apply to the current engine only. And for keeping the Clear functionality, a new "Reset" button could be placed below in the same UCI Options dialogue.

Regards,
Leandro
abik

Post by abik »

lealgo wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:19 pm Still, maybe its usability could be improved if one could access such Options again without having to go back and select "Clear Options". One idea is to remove the "Clear Options" item and replace it with a new "Change Options" that would apply to the current engine only. And for keeping the Clear functionality, a new "Reset" button could be placed below in the same UCI Options dialogue.
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, these ideas are in the making for sure!
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

abik wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 pm
supersharp77 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:40 pmHey Art The Grey Chess for android Icon just disappeared on this new update...Don't like this new one
Just when I think I know exactly what people are going to give me feedback on.... :D

I am really, really sorry you don't like the new icon, but it was also really, really time for an update. On modern devices, the old, low-res icon looked pretty bad, and similar for the the Google Play listing. I personally like the new icon as it reflects the choice of chess pieces in my app better, picking Bryan Whitby's beautiful pieces that he kindly made available to my app.
Hahahaha.....well you know Art I thought you liked "customer feedback" my friend...New icon is the wrong size and says "Chess" not "chess for android" The grey one has been on my devices a long time...8-10 years? As a matter of fact I believe 'chess for android" was probably the first app ever downloaded on my smartphones :) :wink:
abik

Post by abik »

supersharp77 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:07 amNew icon is the wrong size and says "Chess" not "chess for android" The grey one has been on my devices a long time...8-10 years? As a matter of fact I believe 'chess for android" was probably the first app ever downloaded on my smartphones.
Ten years! I appreciate your loyalty and hope you stay with the app for at least another 10 years :-)

I am a bit confused about the feedback. The short app label under the icon has always been "Chess", and not "Chess for Android". And what do you mean by wrong size? Can you please send me a screenshot of what you mean?
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

abik wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:19 am
supersharp77 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:07 amNew icon is the wrong size and says "Chess" not "chess for android" The grey one has been on my devices a long time...8-10 years? As a matter of fact I believe 'chess for android" was probably the first app ever downloaded on my smartphones.
Ten years! I appreciate your loyalty and hope you stay with the app for at least another 10 years :-)

I am a bit confused about the feedback. The short app label under the icon has always been "Chess", and not "Chess for Android". And what do you mean by wrong size? Can you please send me a screenshot of what you mean?
Yes Art...that was in the old days when you only had a few posters on the web site and the only engines available were a few compiles of yours and the rest were Jim Ablett compiles...This icon is slightly smaller than the other ones on my phone..I will have to figure out how to do 'screenshots' my friend...in the old days you had only a few posters...The app caught on well as we knew it would...congrats AR :D :wink:
abik

Post by abik »

supersharp77 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 amI will have to figure out how to do 'screenshots'
Do you have a screenshot for me? I would like to know what goes wrong with the icon on some devices?
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

abik wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:03 am
supersharp77 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 amI will have to figure out how to do 'screenshots'
Do you have a screenshot for me? I would like to know what goes wrong with the icon on some devices?
Well the one in my android phone kept crashing in tournament mode..5x or so....had to remove it...the one in my tablet works (I think) seemed buggy..Played about 15-20 games and then it would stop cold...app freeze on tourney restart w self closes.. with a question.. do you and to close the app or send a comment...I sent a comment.. 8-)
abik

Post by abik »

supersharp77 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 amWell the one in my android phone kept crashing in tournament mode..5x or so....had to remove it...the one in my tablet works (I think) seemed buggy.
I was asking about your previous report that you did not like the icon size :D

But, I have not seen any issues with running tournaments. Is this with particular engines? Particular settings? Perhaps with settings that cause the system to crash (large hash sizes?). Without any details there is really nothing I can debug. Again, my tournaments ran smoothly so far.
retep1

Post by retep1 »

I can not load an opening-bin-book. I entered the following path (book-file):
/storage/emulated/0/DroidFish/book/Goi 6.bin
What am I doing wrong?