Finding that 'Only Move'

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5154
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Finding that 'Only Move'

Post by AdminX » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 am

I got over excited in a blitz game today that I played on Lichess. In this position 21. Qxc5 holds a nice winning position.


However I played the horrible 21. Bxc5?? and was well grounded by black's 21. ... Rd8!



It took me 1:05 to find a amazing resource in 22. Rh1!! (Only Move) which holds the position. Mind you, I was contemplating throwing in the towel at this point, you know capitulate and just get it over with. Luckily for me my opponent played the hideous 22. ... Rxh1?? allowing me to mate on f8. Otherwise the best I should hope for was a draw.



"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

MikeGL
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Finding that 'Only Move'

Post by MikeGL » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Excellent game nice to see that tricky Rh1 saves your day.
It is always fun to trap a queen especially if you're in the winning side.
Thrilling to win in a 1min vs 1min online bullet (lightning) when I managed, luckily, to trap my opponents Q.



https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/live/3727150383
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5154
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Finding that 'Only Move'

Post by AdminX » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:36 pm

MikeGL wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:28 pm
Excellent game nice to see that tricky Rh1 saves your day.
It is always fun to trap a queen especially if you're in the winning side.
Thrilling to win in a 1min vs 1min online bullet (lightning) when I managed, luckily, to trap my opponents Q.



https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/live/3727150383
Yes indeed, that was sweet and no way to escape it.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

kliles
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:35 pm
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: Finding that 'Only Move'

Post by kliles » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:16 pm

In the initial diagrams in this thread it seems Black is missing the R on H8... had me confused why Qf8 was not decisive until I pushed through the rest of the thread... very nice indeed.

edit: My Bad - the Rook suddenly appeared (!) - maybe some strange artifact of my browser displaying the page... nevermind

Nay Lin Tun
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Finding that 'Only Move'

Post by Nay Lin Tun » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 pm

How does Rh1 change the outcome of the game? Cos black blunder in 1 move trick?


But most strong players usually see such trap within a few seconds. What about Rg8 by black?

Ras
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Finding that 'Only Move'

Post by Ras » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Nay Lin Tun wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 pm
What about Rg8 by black?
Then Rh1-h7. After Rd8xd6 and Rd1xd6, White threatens to take the bishop on e6 with check. The covering pawn on f7 is pinned because of the queen on b7.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5154
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Finding that 'Only Move'

Post by AdminX » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:05 am

Ras wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Nay Lin Tun wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 pm
What about Rg8 by black?
Then Rh1-h7. After Rd8xd6 and Rd1xd6, White threatens to take the bishop on e6 with check. The covering pawn on f7 is pinned because of the queen on b7.
+1
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

Nay Lin Tun
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Finding that 'Only Move'

Post by Nay Lin Tun » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:57 am

Ras wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Nay Lin Tun wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 pm
What about Rg8 by black?
Then Rh1-h7. After Rd8xd6 and Rd1xd6, White threatens to take the bishop on e6 with check. The covering pawn on f7 is pinned because of the queen on b7.
Then black can simply play Qc8. ( To defend bishop on e6 and avoid pin ). And white will lose with material deficit.

MikeGL
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Finding that 'Only Move'

Post by MikeGL » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:14 am

Nay Lin Tun wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:57 am
Ras wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Nay Lin Tun wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 pm
What about Rg8 by black?
Then Rh1-h7. After Rd8xd6 and Rd1xd6, White threatens to take the bishop on e6 with check. The covering pawn on f7 is pinned because of the queen on b7.
Then black can simply play Qc8. ( To defend bishop on e6 and avoid pin ). And white will lose with material deficit.
Actually you are right, black might win but position is complex and win can shift to either black or white.
I checked with engine, and your Qc8 actually loses with accurate play from white. There are ways to win for black but Qc8 is not it.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

jp
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Finding that 'Only Move'

Post by jp » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:17 am

MikeGL wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:14 am
Nay Lin Tun wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:57 am
Ras wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Nay Lin Tun wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 pm
What about Rg8 by black?
Then Rh1-h7. After Rd8xd6 and Rd1xd6, White threatens to take the bishop on e6 with check.
Then black can simply play Qc8. And white will lose with material deficit.
black might win but position is complex and win can shift to either black or white.
I checked with engine, and your Qc8 actually loses with accurate play from white. There are ways to win for black but Qc8 is not it.
SF's PV tells us White ends up worse but not losing, with BPP vs R.

Post Reply