Mortimer trap test bug in Stockfish 10

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: Mortimer trap test bug in Stockfish 10

Post by Dann Corbit »

I think that traps that really give something away are a bad idea.
The reason is that you are looking down on your opponent.
There are two traps with the "giving material away to fool someone" trap.

The first one is that they might be smarter than you think and not get fooled. Then you gave away something for nothing. Then they clobber you due to your error and you feel foolish for underestimating them.

The second one is that you might feel bad about using the trap.

When my little sister Julie was about 13, she wanted to play me in a game of chess. So I used a variant of the fool's mate to beat her.
Not the two move version, but the one that uses 4 moves but the same idea. Then I felt bad that I beat her that way.
So I showed her why it was a trap and how the trap works, and also how to beat the trap.

Anyway, I think we should play like chess engines do. That is to say, always assume that your opponent is going to play the best possible move.
That having been said, I like to play the Orangutan, and everyone knows that 1.b4 is not the strongest first move. But I like it anyway.
So I guess sometimes we do not always follow our own advice, or, I should say, I don't always follow my own advice.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
jp

Post by jp »

ailin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:43 am But something to consider :
In the book “Comprehensive chess course “ authors present this as opening trap
They go further and say : there are 2 types of traps , good trap and bad trap.
There's something more important to consider.
There are two types of authors: good authors and bad authors.

Who are the authors?
ailin

Post by ailin »

by Lev Alburt and Roman Pelts ،
Do you think white’s counter-trap ,and ignoring white bishop was a good trap or bad one ?!
jp

Post by jp »

ailin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:48 pm Do you think white’s counter-trap ,and ignoring white bishop was a good trap or bad one ?!
Black's 4...Ne7 is okay as a trap, barely.

White's 5.Nxe5 intending 6.Nc4 is very, very bad.