Polyglot 64-bit

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel

Polyglot 64-bit

Post by Rebel »

Polyglot (as far as I can tell) always has been 32-bit which limited the working space during --make-book to 1Gb. Compiling Polyglot as a 64-bit program takes this obstacle away. I could make a Polyglot book of 1.5Gb in one run while Polyglot workspace increased to 5.5Gb of memory.

Not only is this more comfortable it also has the advantage you don't need --merge-book any longer which enables you to produce better books because --merge-book has the (nasty) habit not to recalculate the weights.

Caution - Now that you can make books as big as your memory allows you take note that when a created Polyglot book exceeds the size of 2Gb it can't be used by engines that access a Polyglot book with traditional 32-bit instructions, some of the Polyglot code needs an update first.

Download at the end of the page - http://rebel13.nl/download/books.html
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Ferdy

Re: Polyglot 64-bit

Post by Ferdy »

Thanks Ed, successfully created a book from not less than 600k games.

Book 2 in the gui is from polyglot book built from polyglot64.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Rebel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:56 am Polyglot (as far as I can tell) always has been 32-bit which limited the working space during --make-book to 1Gb. Compiling Polyglot as a 64-bit program takes this obstacle away. I could make a Polyglot book of 1.5Gb in one run while Polyglot workspace increased to 5.5Gb of memory.

Not only is this more comfortable it also has the advantage you don't need --merge-book any longer which enables you to produce better books because --merge-book has the (nasty) habit not to recalculate the weights.

Caution - Now that you can make books as big as your memory allows you take note that when a created Polyglot book exceeds the size of 2Gb it can't be used by engines that access a Polyglot book with traditional 32-bit instructions, some of the Polyglot code needs an update first.

Looking forward to breaking the 2Gb limit. 64 versions already existed, the first one was posted in this forum years ago, and there's also the so-called "tolerant" version. Both failed to address that size limitation.

As for the --merge-book option, I always liked it as is. I will try your Polyglot 64-bit as soon as I upgrade the memory subsystem (prices getting finally good).
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ozymandias wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 am
Rebel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:56 am Polyglot (as far as I can tell) always has been 32-bit which limited the working space during --make-book to 1Gb. Compiling Polyglot as a 64-bit program takes this obstacle away. I could make a Polyglot book of 1.5Gb in one run while Polyglot workspace increased to 5.5Gb of memory.

Looking forward to breaking the 2Gb limit. 64 versions already existed, the first one was posted in this forum years ago, and there's also the so-called "tolerant" version. Both failed to address that size limitation.

As for the --merge-book option, I always liked it as is. I will try your Polyglot 64-bit as soon as I upgrade the memory subsystem (prices getting finally good).
To bypass the 2Gb limit I made an option in ProDeo to access 4 books but only 1 search is needed.
Book-1 for move 0-5
Book-2 for move 6-10
Book-3 for move 11-15
Book-4 moves >=16

So in theory I can make a book close to 8Gb.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Rebel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:11 amTo bypass the 2Gb limit I made an option in ProDeo to access 4 books but only 1 search is needed.
Book-1 for move 0-5
Book-2 for move 6-10
Book-3 for move 11-15
Book-4 moves >=16

Even if your engine of choice offered the chance to address so many books, which they don't, wouldn't books 2-4 need to include the first moves? There's a "-max-ply" opinion, but to do what you suggest, you'd also need a "-min-ply" one.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ozymandias wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 am
Rebel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:11 amTo bypass the 2Gb limit I made an option in ProDeo to access 4 books but only 1 search is needed.
Book-1 for move 0-5
Book-2 for move 6-10
Book-3 for move 11-15
Book-4 moves >=16

Even if your engine of choice offered the chance to address so many books, which they don't, wouldn't books 2-4 need to include the first moves? There's a "-max-ply" opinion, but to do what you suggest, you'd also need a "-min-ply" one.
Not sure if you understood what I was trying to say. The 4-book feature is not yet availabe, that's what I understand from the red. Secondly, no, you don't need the first moves in book 2-4.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Rebel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:38 pm
Book-1 for move 0-5
Book-2 for move 6-10
Book-3 for move 11-15
Book-4 moves >=16

Not sure if you understood what I was trying to say. The 4-book feature is not yet availabe, that's what I understand from the red. Secondly, no, you don't need the first moves in book 2-4.
You said "made", which is past tense, so I assumed it was already available; anyway, how do you make a book containing (say) moves 6-10? I tried getting a look at how it works and after executing the program, I get a command line window, with the usual info in the first line, but this message in the second:
tellusererror Polyglot: EngineCommand error: corchess_x64_bmi2.exe
You can't type anything and it closes a short while later.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ozymandias wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:46 pm
Rebel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:38 pm
Book-1 for move 0-5
Book-2 for move 6-10
Book-3 for move 11-15
Book-4 moves >=16

You said "made", which is past tense, so I assumed it was already available; anyway, how do you make a book containing (say) moves 6-10?
Is also part of what has to be released yet. But it works. See - http://rebel13.nl/download/data.html

It's currently not available from the menu but it's an example that it can be done. A large PGN is split into 3 books. No release because I am not satisfied with the result.
I tried getting a look at how it works and after executing the program, I get a command line window, with the usual info in the first line, but this message in the second:
I don't follow. corchess_x64_bmi2.exe ?
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Rebel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:15 pmIs also part of what has to be released yet. But it works. See - http://rebel13.nl/download/data.html

It's currently not available from the menu but it's an example that it can be done. A large PGN is split into 3 books. No release because I am not satisfied with the result.
I tried getting a look at how it works and after executing the program, I get a command line window, with the usual info in the first line, but this message in the second:
I don't follow. corchess_x64_bmi2.exe ?
So we're clear, can we make a book containing just moves 6-10, with the released executable? If so, what's the syntax to be used?

The quoted text is a copy/paste of what the program says upon double clicking it. Your guess is as good as mine.

On another machine, it also fails to work, giving the following message:
Can't open file "polyglot.ini": No such file or directory
If an ini file is required, shouldn't it be zipped with the exe?
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ozymandias wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 pm So we're clear, can we make a book containing just moves 6-10, with the released executable?
Yep, in the next POLY version.
On another machine, it also fails to work, giving the following message:
Can't open file "polyglot.ini": No such file or directory
If an ini file is required, shouldn't it be zipped with the exe?
You don't need a polyglot.ini using --make-book.

For all the other options of Polyglot use (copy) one of the previous versions.