Leela Chess Zero 42565 vs Stockfish 140619

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
mwyoung
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Leela Chess Zero 42565 vs Stockfish 140619

Post by mwyoung » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:54 pm

Nordlandia wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:15 pm
mwyoung wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:55 pm
Nordlandia wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:30 pm
What i'm asking for is that you adjust SF threads to 29.
Why do you want me to slow down stockfish? Because that is what your settings will do to stockfish on my 2950X. I am not running a 4 core I7.

I don't need to carve out 3 threads for Lc0. When Lc0 only needs 6% of the CPU. That would be like giving grandma a dragster to pickup food at the grocery store. All the heavy lifting is done by the GPU.

So the settings will stay, and the answer is no.

And you should know this about Lc0.

Do you even test lc0?

What equipment are you running?
i7-5960X 4.5GHz 8-core (HT disabled) GTX 1070 Ti.
Now in case on ponder matches on my system i allocate 6 cores for SF and 1-core for Lc0 and 1 for "OS buffer"

One guy said that lc0 only need 1-core for GTX 1070 Ti. Single core is strong enough to feed it.


Why does your OS need a whole core. What a waste. My OS overhead is 1%. Dont you guys know how to optimize your systems. Now you give the OS a dragster and Lc0 a dragster. When they can carpool in a Pinto to get to work....
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Take on me. foes 0

User avatar
Nordlandia
Posts: 2457
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Sortland, Norway

Re: Leela Chess Zero 42565 vs Stockfish 140619

Post by Nordlandia » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Then allocate 30 cores for SF then.

mwyoung
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Leela Chess Zero 42565 vs Stockfish 140619

Post by mwyoung » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:30 pm

Nordlandia wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:09 pm
Then allocate 30 cores for SF then.
But you can achieve a better utilization for Stockfish. By not carving the CPU up. That is the caveman way. To run 7% for low utilization processes. Depending on your processors capabilities.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Take on me. foes 0

Chessqueen
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:16 am
Full name: Nancy M Pichardo

Re: Leela Chess Zero 42565 vs Stockfish 140619

Post by Chessqueen » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:44 pm

mwyoung wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:30 pm
Nordlandia wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:09 pm
Then allocate 30 cores for SF then.
But you can achieve a better utilization for Stockfish. By not carving the CPU up. That is the caveman way. To run 7% for low utilization processes. Depending on your processors capabilities.

Great match, can you also run another similar match on Youtube.... Stockfish Vs Alliestein v.05 to see how much AllieStein has progressed. Stockfish will still win, but by how much is the Question ? ==>
https://tcec.chessdom.com/

mwyoung
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Leela Chess Zero 42565 vs Stockfish 140619

Post by mwyoung » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Chessqueen wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:44 pm
mwyoung wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:30 pm
Nordlandia wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:09 pm
Then allocate 30 cores for SF then.
But you can achieve a better utilization for Stockfish. By not carving the CPU up. That is the caveman way. To run 7% for low utilization processes. Depending on your processors capabilities.

Great match, can you also run another similar match on Youtube.... Stockfish Vs Alliestein v.05 to see how much AllieStein has progressed. Stockfish will still win, but by how much is the Question ? ==>
https://tcec.chessdom.com/
I have not played with Alliestein yet. But I will give it a test at some point. And I will test it on YouTube.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Take on me. foes 0

mwyoung
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Leela Chess Zero 42565 vs Stockfish 140619

Post by mwyoung » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:40 am

My method for running Ponder = on matches with Leela Chess Zero.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71086
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Take on me. foes 0

Post Reply