buying a new computer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

buying a new computer

Post by Uri Blass »

I think to buy a new computer and I wonder what is the elo of stockfish and lc0 for different prices of hardware.

Is there a table for comparison that give price and elo estimate for both?
Daniel Shawul

Re: buying a new computer

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I am waiting to buy a new desktop myself. AMD is going to release its next generation ryzen 9 cpus with 12-core (24 threads) tomorrow.
I think it will be very good hardware for stockfish at the half price of intel's cpus (500$ compared to 1100$). There 16-core version will not come out until septmember though.

If you are also thinking of buying a gpu, NVIDIA is going to upgrade its rtx lineup to their "super" versions on july 9 for the same price.
A 15% improvement on performance but price remains the same.

There will be deals on cpu and gpus because of this so look out for those.

Daniel
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:32 pm I am waiting to buy a new desktop myself. AMD is going to release its next generation ryzen 9 cpus with 12-core (24 threads) tomorrow.
I think it will be very good hardware for stockfish at the half price of intel's cpus (500$ compared to 1100$). There 16-core version will not come out until septmember though.

If you are also thinking of buying a gpu, NVIDIA is going to upgrade its rtx lineup to their "super" versions on july 9 for the same price.

Daniel
Make sure you buy the PCIe 4.0 M.2 drive. This will be the best part of the upgrade. On the new AMD motherboards. 5.0 GB/s. There is nothing like having a really fast data drive.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Uri Blass wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:56 pm I think to buy a new computer and I wonder what is the elo of stockfish and lc0 for different prices of hardware.

Me too - but you want to wait for this to come out in the fall..

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13495867 AMD Myrtle is the project name For the AMD 16 Core Ryzen 9.

The CPU will only be $799, so this will clearly be the best bang for your hard earned cash.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:08 pm
Uri Blass wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:56 pm I think to buy a new computer and I wonder what is the elo of stockfish and lc0 for different prices of hardware.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13495867 AMD Myrtle is the project name For the AMD 16 Core Ryzen 9.

The CPU will only be $799, so this will clearly be the best bang for your hard earned cash.
Based on the multicore intetger score of 77115. You can use NPS as a proxy for Elo - for the same engine , they are correlated to each other - just keep mind at these levels , it's not clear if doubling of nps will be worth 70 Elo like like in the past , but it should be close.

Stockfish should bench at 60,000 nps at a minimum with this processor using all 16 cores It could be higher, we shall wait and see. If you hyper thread , it could be even more. Just to clarify, "should" also has a meaning that maybe it will not. I'm not totally familiar with AMD processors, but if this was an Intel processor with Integer score of 77K, it would provide 60,000 nps at a minimum.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:14 pm

Based on the multicore intetger score of 77115. You can use NPS as a proxy for Elo - for the same engine , they are correlated to each other - just keep mind at these levels , it's not clear if doubling of nps will be worth 70 Elo like like in the past , but it should be close.

Stockfish should bench at 60,000 nps at a minimum with this processor using all 16 cores It could be higher, we shall wait and see. If you hyper thread , it could be even more. Just to clarify, "should" also has a meaning that maybe it will not. I'm not totally familiar with AMD processors, but if this was an Intel processor with Integer score of 77K, it would provide 60,000 nps at a minimum.
Obviously I left off a K - we're talking a bench for SF that should come in near 60,000,000 nps - if you're at 7.5M nps today - let's call it a 210 Elo increase - doubling three times. 7.5M>15M>30M>60M
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Intel is dead this year. AMD is the way to go this year if you want to upgrade. All the Ryzen 3000 can not be touched. Should be a great year for AMD.

Important to note. You need to buy 3700 speed memory. For best performace with the Ryzen 3000. 3700 ram speed will sync 1 to 1 with the new ryzen 3000 infinity fabric.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:32 pm I am waiting to buy a new desktop myself. AMD is going to release its next generation ryzen 9 cpus with 12-core (24 threads) tomorrow.

Daniel
Before I buy my next cimputer, i still need to set up and maximise my present computer for chess engines which is the biggest thoughts i had in mind when i bought it in the first place, with everything new. About 5 years ago.
If not, I'll still be stuck in the same way with ANY computer.
My biggest problem MIGHT have been that my room was too messy to invite in a technician to help me or to repair it. Also, to find bits of money.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

My gpu workstation went broken, so I decided to rent gpus via cloud instead of
buying a new system, ofc, this is no solution for long run engine testing,
but suitable for tuning for new architectures or to run some benchmarks.

--
Srdja
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

mwyoung wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:39 pm

Intel is dead this year. AMD is the way to go this year if you want to upgrade. All the Ryzen 3000 can not be touched. Should be a great year for AMD.

Important to note. You need to buy 3700 speed memory. For best performace with the Ryzen 3000. 3700 ram speed will sync 1 to 1 with the new ryzen 3000 infinity fabric.
I was under the, possibly mistaken impression, that there were issues between AMD and nvidia GPU use in some circumstances.