Interesting article on next gen threadripper architecture

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Interesting article on next gen threadripper architecture

Post by Dann Corbit »

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_ma ... adripper/1

Very positive spin. If the assertions are correct, the new threadripper will be a monsterpiece.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
mwyoung

Re: Interesting article on next gen threadripper architecture

Post by mwyoung »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:10 pm https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_ma ... adripper/1

Very positive spin. If the assertions are correct, the new threadripper will be a monsterpiece.
It is already a monster. What the next gen will offer is fixing the memory controller issues in the 24, and 32 core versions that hurt performance in some application. Along with shrinking the die, better clock speed, and IPC, and I am sure more cache . The question is with the smaller die will we see a 64 core Threadripper? That would be a monster killer.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
mwyoung

Re: Interesting article on next gen threadripper architecture

Post by mwyoung »

mwyoung wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:44 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:10 pm https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_ma ... adripper/1

It is already a monster. What the next gen will offer is fixing the memory controller issues in the 24, and 32 core versions that hurt performance in some application. Along with shrinking the die, better clock speed, and IPC, and I am sure more cache . The question is with the smaller die will we see a 64 core Threadripper? That would be a monster killer.
Here are the best C/ R 20 scores right now. The 24 core and 32 core already dominate. And the scores hold true as long as the your application does not have suffer from the memory controller issues of the 24, and 32 cores versions. Chess programs don't seem to suffer on Threadripper gen 2.

With the issues being fixed with the gen 3 Threadripper. The Threadripper scores should go up dramatically looking at how AM4 ryzen 3rd gen progressed. What will be Intel's answer?
Cinebench best R20.jpg
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.