Feature score use in search

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

xr_a_y

Feature score use in search

Post by xr_a_y »

In Minic, I have a structure to hold eval score by feature (passed pawn, material, danger, ...) separately.
In search some decision are taken using score margin, but it feels like some should be more affected by specific features. For example, 7th rank pawn push is often taken as a non pruning condition.

My idea is to use for example danger score in SEE margin instead of something that just depends on depth.
If there is an attack to build, big danger, it is probably worth making some sacrifices, but negative SEE might prevent them.

It is sound ?
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: Feature score use in search

Post by AndrewGrant »

xr_a_y wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 pm In Minic, I have a structure to hold eval score by feature (passed pawn, material, danger, ...) separately.
In search some decision are taken using score margin, but it feels like some should be more affected by specific features. For example, 7th rank pawn push is often taken as a non pruning condition.

My idea is to use for example danger score in SEE margin instead of something that just depends on depth.
If there is an attack to build, big danger, it is probably worth making some sacrifices, but negative SEE might prevent them.

It is sound ?
Sound, sure. Optimal? Maybe.

I used to do something quite similar -- in fact it was also for adjusting SEE. There is a tradeoff, however. By depending on some evaluation structure in the search, you essentially are forced to run the evaluation at every node. This means you cannot reuse an evaluation from the TT, it means you cant compute a fast evaluation using the knowledge that the previous move was a NULL one.

In theory, you could find enough elo by using eval features in the search to cover that gap. Or even, you could allow yourself to use cached evals, and simply disable whatever dynamic adjustments would have happened. I would argue that its not worth doing, however. Mixing the search with the eval creates a sort of dependence that I was very unhappy with. It took me a long time to untangle the two without losing the small amount of elo I had gained.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

Thanks for the input Andrew. I get your point about trying so split search and eval but aren't they are already very interdependent anyway?

Have you ever think / try to encode additional info in hash score to emphasize some feature. For example a short int more in the TT entry can be used to encode a kind of danger level as well as a mobility score.
jstanback
Full name: John Stanback

Post by jstanback »

In Wasp I have an evaluation term called danger[side] which is used in the Search() routine to restrict pruning. The danger[] term gets increased by some amount for features such as a piece attacked by enemy pawn or a pawn/piece which is attacked and undefended, enemy having a free pawn on 5th rank or beyond, or a mate threat against the king. It's been quite a while since I've tested this and I can't find my notes on how much Elo it gained. I don't think it was much though...

John
jstanback
Full name: John Stanback

Post by jstanback »

I forgot to mention that my eval hash table is separate from my main hash table and it includes the danger[] term in addition to the overall evaluation.

John
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

jstanback wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:00 pm I forgot to mention that my eval hash table is separate from my main hash table and it includes the danger[] term in addition to the overall evaluation.

John
This makes me wanna try also ;)