A pawn endgame analysis

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: A pawn endgame analysis

Post by zullil »

Ovyron wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:47 pm
Vinvin wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:54 pm Click on the book icon and you will see the distance to conversion
Really? You call that better??

Check this position out:

[d]8/6pp/6kb/7r/8/R7/8/6K1 b - -

What does the 7men Lomonosov app say?

Oh, okay, so Bf4!! and Kf5!! are best, because they mate in 18 and other moves waste time.
What does Cfish-dev say, with no endgame tables:

info depth 99 seldepth 35 multipv 1 score mate 18 nodes 20212697925 nps 76890324 hashfull 625 tbhits 0 time 262877 pv h6f4 a3a6 g6f5 g1f2 f5g4 f2e2 h5d5 a6a2 h7h5 e2f1 d5d2 a2d2 f4d2 f1f2 h5h4 f2e2 d2f4 e2f1 h4h3 f1f2 g7g5 f2f1 g4f3 f1e1 f3e3 e1d1 e3d3 d1e1 f4e3 e1f1 e3b6 f1e1 h3h2 e1f1 h2h1q

Of course, this took nearly 5 minutes.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

zullil wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 amWell, it has at least one good feature. :wink:
That makes no difference to me, as I'm using them online, I don't have to download anything. I guess this is the future, nobody needs to store anything in their computer, as it can be queried online. Probably when 9men tablebases happen, they'll be so big that only one computer in the world will have them. But it'll be enough, as anyone will be able to access them with an app like Lomonosov (or Ferdy's Probe ChessDB Book), storing tablebases in one's computer will be a thing of the past, so being much heavier doesn't matter.
zullil wrote:Of course, this took nearly 5 minutes.
This was an example of Distance to Conversion playing the WORST move imaginable (if you're going to get a move worse than what the engine would play by itself, what's the point of 7men tablebases?) So you just made my point than checking with your engine may be better than using lichess :lol:
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
zullil

Post by zullil »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:12 pm
That makes no difference to me, as I'm using them online, I don't have to download anything.
Right, no difference to you. But someone still needs to generate the data (and store it). If that someone were me, I'd make you pay for every query. :twisted:
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

zullil wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pmRight, no difference to you. But someone still needs to generate the data (and store it). If that someone were me, I'd make you pay for every query. :twisted:
Aaaand... that's what they do. Check their page out:

http://tb7.chessok.com/probe

What happens when you try to query a position?

They're charging people for the queries.

That's why it's very nice they provide an app that allows you to get "instant access" for free to 7men tablebases's "Distance to mate", and why it's worthy to recommend them over an inferior alternative like lichess's (unless all you care about is knowing if the position is won or lost. If that's the case then I recommended lichess myself in this thread).
zullil

Post by zullil »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:25 pm
zullil wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pmRight, no difference to you. But someone still needs to generate the data (and store it). If that someone were me, I'd make you pay for every query. :twisted:
Aaaand... that's what they do. Check their page out:

http://tb7.chessok.com/probe

What happens when you try to query a position?

They're charging people for the queries.

That's why it's very nice they provide an app that allows you to get "instant access" for free to 7men tablebases's "Distance to mate", and why it's worthy to recommend them over an inferior alternative like lichess's (unless all you care about is knowing if the position is won or lost. If that's the case then I recommended lichess myself in this thread).
Obviously I'm missing something. There must be other "benefits" associated with being a VIP member. Otherwise why would anyone pay for data that's now freely available via some app? That or there's some "cost" to using the app, like having to view ads, for example.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

VIP is for people on desktop, where it's really cumbersome to use the app (you need to download a whole mobile emulator/Android emulator, such as Bluestacks, which is a bulky program that takes a long while to load, has high CPU usage, and in general is less responsive than desktop applications.)

Some people don't even know running mobile apps is possible on a desktop computer, so the idea with VIP is that it's the only offering to query 7men tablebases online that shows Distance To Mate for desktop computers, and the app works as an advertisement for people that don't have access or don't want to have to use a mobile phone or tablet to use the app, so buying VIP for direct access is convenient for them.