Sting SF 16

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Spliffjiffer

Re: Sting SF 16

Post by Spliffjiffer »

excellentely, thanks so much for your answer and for Sting of course as well :-)...it works !
regards
Wahrheiten sind Illusionen von denen wir aber vergessen haben dass sie welche sind.
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

lech wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 pm
Spliffjiffer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 pm hello Marek, i tried your "autoplay-mode" myself and it works excellently, very intereting to juggle with it !
one question: is it possible for me to use my complete 4 threads that i have to let Sting autoplay positions... if so, how ?
ah...beside this: is it possible to abbort the autoplay-process by using a certain command maybe ?
to use more threads (4):
setoption name threads value 4
to stop solution:
click button ctrl (don't hold) and type stop :)
Hi Marek,

I tried the autoplay Mode and have used the command "d". (display diagram)
But - only after several tries it finally worked at last.

You have to enter the following: press Ctrl-button, type: stop, Return, type: d, Return
The same with command "eval": press Ctrl-button, type: stop, Return, type: eval, Return
But - know this every user?

After the diagram is displayed, the following appears: Key is: 5286910020249268371
What means this?

It would be useful if there were detailed instructions on the various commands and how to use them.

Nevertheless - you have great tools built in.

Thanks
lech

Post by lech »

Paloma wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:15 am
Spliffjiffer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 pm hello Marek, i tried your "autoplay-mode" myself and it works excellently, very intereting to juggle with it !
one question: is it possible for me to use my complete 4 threads that i have to let Sting autoplay positions... if so, how ?
ah...beside this: is it possible to abbort the autoplay-process by using a certain command maybe ?
to use more threads (4):
to stop solution:
Hi Marek,

You have to enter the following: press Ctrl-button, type: stop, Return, type: d, Return
The same with command "eval": press Ctrl-button, type: stop, Return, type: eval, Return

After the diagram is displayed, the following appears: Key is: 5286910020249268371
What means this?

It would be useful if there were detailed instructions on the various commands and how to use them.

Thanks
You are right!

But the auto-playing idea seems to be fresh and probably no GUI (Graphical User's Interface) support such an interesting possibility.
I think that all users (99,9%) like GUI and they are far to use "Windows command line" and send to engines UCI commands.
The auto-playing is a natural (logical) extension of searching and it can replace searching in many positions too.

For this, let programmers of GUIs include it to their programs.

It needs only to start playing of a position by only one engine.
It means that exactly the same engine (common Hash) plays for White and BLACK.
And when an user stops searching (pyramid grows and grows) of a position and want (need) to get full solution and result (draw or mate), the user starts auto-playing from this place or skips a few moves (from pv-line) and starts auto-playing there.
Maybe, I can't be friendly, but let me be useful.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

What means this?

Thanks
The key is a 64-bit number (so 16 digits in hexadecimal, where digits range from 0=0000 to F=1111). The key you posted above is unusual in that none of the digits A, B, C, D, E, F appear.

This key is a numerical representation of the position. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zobrist_hashing for more.

In any case, the appearance of this key in response to the "d" command is not specific to Sting; it's simply borrowed from Stockfish.

[OOPS] That key you posted has more than 16 digits, so I guess it is Sting-specific after all. Treating that number as a decimal number, its hexadecimal representation is 495EE0A6F4693093, which is the correct length for a key. So maybe Sting is printing keys in decimal rather than hexadecimal, for some unknowable reason. :wink:
lech

Post by lech »

lech wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:07 pm
to use more threads (4):
to stop solution:
Hi Marek,

What means this?

Thanks
You are right!

But the auto-playing idea seems to be fresh and probably no GUI (Graphical User's Interface) support such an interesting possibility.
I think that all users (99,9%) like GUI and they are far to use "Windows command line" and send to engines UCI commands.
The auto-playing is a natural (logical) extension of searching and it can replace searching in many positions too.

For this, let programmers of GUIs include it to their programs.

It needs only to start playing of a position by only one engine.
It means that exactly the same engine (common Hash) plays for White and BLACK.
And when an user stops searching (pyramid grows and grows) of a position and want (need) to get full solution and result (draw or mate), the user starts auto-playing from this place or skips a few moves (from pv-line) and starts auto-playing there.
I missed one questions.
Key is added to diagrams by authors of Stockfish 2.1.1 and I don't know why is there?
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

lech wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:11 pm I missed one questions.
Key is added to diagrams by authors of Stockfish 2.1.1 and I don't know why is there?
I guess in Stockfish 2.1.1 the Zobrist key was still being printed in decimal rather than hexadecimal as it is now.
lech

Post by lech »

"Show" is a new command in Sting 16 !
A guide (bold = input texts) for no GUIs users.

sting-sf-16
it starts Sting
position fen rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR - kqKQ 0 1
it load position
d
it displays diagram
eval
it displays a static evoulation
setoption name hash value 1024
it sets hash to 1024 Mega
setoption name threads value 1
it sets threads to 1 thread
go movetime 3600000
it starts searching (1 hour)

if you want to stop searching, press (dont't hold) CTRL keyboard button and then type
stop

go movetime 60000 play show forward 6
it skips 6 first moves from the pv-line and starts auto-playing (60 second per move) and displays diagram after each move.

if you want to stop auto-playing, press (dont't hold) CTRL keyboard button and then type
stop

The commands "forward", "show", "d", "eval" are optional and may be omitted.

BTW. Some no-output key information in diagrams may be ignored by users.
glennsamuel32

Post by glennsamuel32 »

Thanks Lech !!

I always look forward to your work...
Judge without bias, or don't judge at all...