buying a new computer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jp

Re: buying a new computer

Post by jp »

Zenmastur wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:30 am Uri, I'm curious! Did you buy a new computer yet or make a decision about what you plan to do?
The harder it is for Uri to decide and the longer he waits, the better his final decision will be, even without a decision-making process. :wink:
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

jp wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 am
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:30 am Uri, I'm curious! Did you buy a new computer yet or make a decision about what you plan to do?
The harder it is for Uri to decide and the longer he waits, the better his final decision will be, even without a decision-making process. :wink:
While I know that's true, I also know it sucks when you want to analyze games or positions and you don't because of the time it takes on a slow computer. Even a moderately fast modern CPU with a 1 TB NVMe drive for TB's will speed the analysis by more than an order of magnitude compared to what he's been using. This make it a pleasure to do game analysis because you get better results in less time.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I still did not buy a new computer.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

The longer you wait, the harder for you it will be to buy one, cause newer and stronger comps will keep showing each year, and will continue to do so. You should enjoy life and buy one, cause you never know what might happen. Life is too short. :( :(
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

ouachita wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:36 am Ryzen 9 3900X, but I've got a bunch of others available like 2699 v4, 2697 v4, et al
I bought one of those for my son and he really likes it.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Uri Blass wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:25 pm I still did not buy a new computer.
Do you have a budget?
Are you waiting for something specific?
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

We bought the 3900X first for work and 2nd for games and I can confirm a few things after only a few days with it:

1. POPCNT runs ~33% faster than BMI

2. Disabling SMT definitely appears to improve the per-core performance in games (which brings up the gazillions of HT posts here)

3. There is no doubt that, at the same TC, CPU such as 2699 v4 would crush the 3900X "like a worm"
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ipman chess test results:
56.311.851 Intel Xeon E5-2699 v4 @2.2Ghz 44threads BMI2 anonymous
It's $4500:
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/ ... 8sEALw_wcB

49.697.763 AMD Ryzen R9 3900X @4.15Ghz 24threads pop+LP P.J (pushed with a chiller, I guess)
It's $550:
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?3429 ... poEALw_wcB

The nodes per dollar are, well...
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

Every time I see results with HT I get nauseous because the only 2 games I've lost in ~5 years were anomalous results of brief, inadvertent HT
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

ouachita wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:04 pm We bought the 3900X first for work and 2nd for games and I can confirm a few things after only a few days with it:

1. POPCNT runs ~33% faster than BMI

2. Disabling SMT definitely appears to improve the per-core performance in games (which brings up the gazillions of HT posts here)

3. There is no doubt that, at the same TC, CPU such as 2699 v4 would crush the 3900X "like a worm"
1. Who cares?
2. Not relevant.
3. Intel fanboys and their money are soon parted!
4. There is one born every minute.
ouachita wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:56 pm Every time I see results with HT I get nauseous because the only 2 games I've lost in ~5 years were anomalous results of brief, inadvertent HT
5. Let that be a lesson to you!

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.