Ryzen 3900X

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Ryzen 3900X

Post by ouachita »

The system came to us with SMT "Auto." We then "disabled" SMT to run a few tests and then went back to BIOS and toggled it back to Auto, but it still operates with SMT disabled.

Has anyone solved this problem?
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Zenmastur

Re: Ryzen 3900X

Post by Zenmastur »

ouachita wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:18 pm The system came to us with SMT "Auto." We then "disabled" SMT to run a few tests and then went back to BIOS and toggled it back to Auto, but it still operates with SMT disabled.

Update your BIOS.
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
elpapa
Full name: Patrik Karlsson

Post by elpapa »

ouachita wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:18 pm The system came to us with SMT "Auto." We then "disabled" SMT to run a few tests and then went back to BIOS and toggled it back to Auto, but it still operates with SMT disabled.

Try and turn it off and then back on again.
ouachita

Post by ouachita »

Zenmastur wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:37 pm

Update your BIOS.
The system was delivered to me with the next to last BIOS version. After the BIOS SMT toggle problem arose, we downloaded the current BIOS version. SMT was then toggle but the computer would blue screen (with 3 or 4 different error messages) after a few seconds of operation. I worked with the vendor for 4 hours but could not find a fix. So, I'm returning this baby and again looking for a new system, perhaps wait on the 3950X or 9980XE or . . . . who knows
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

ouachita wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:06 am

Update your BIOS.
The system was delivered to me with the next to last BIOS version. After the BIOS SMT toggle problem arose, we downloaded the current BIOS version. SMT was then toggle but the computer would blue screen (with 3 or 4 different error messages) after a few seconds of operation. I worked with the vendor for 4 hours but could not find a fix. So, I'm returning this baby and again looking for a new system, perhaps wait on the 3950X or 9980XE or . . . . who knows
What motherboard are you using? Are you using the default BIOS configuration for CPU, Memory, etc??
I haven't heard of any such problems. If it's a "real" problem ( i.e. not a defective MB etc) then I would think it would have been on the user forums.

It's very difficult to trouble shoot a problem when the only info you gave was the CPU model!

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Zenmastur wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:21 am

Update your BIOS.
What motherboard are you using? Are you using the default BIOS configuration for CPU, Memory, etc??
I haven't heard of any such problems. If it's a "real" problem ( i.e. not a defective MB etc) then I would think it would have been on the user forums.

It's very difficult to trouble shoot a problem when the only info you gave was the CPU model!

Regards,

Zenmastur
He could try loading the Ryzen Master software. And see if the bios is correct. And try changing the setting in the ryzen master software.....
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

mwyoung wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:53 am

Update your BIOS.

Regards,

Zenmastur
He could try loading the Ryzen Master software. And see if the bios is correct. And try changing the setting in the ryzen master software.....
I don't think he's really interested in making it work. If he was he would have provided a lot more info in his first post. There are a lot of things he could try, but it's a lot easier to ship it back and complain about it here. :D :D :D

Some people are like that!

Regards,

Zenmastur
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Zenmastur wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:18 am
mwyoung wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:53 am

Update your BIOS.
[/quot

Regards,

Zenmastur
I don't think he's really interested in making it work. If he was he would have provided a lot more info in his first post. There are a lot of things he could try, but it's a lot easier to ship it back and complain about it here. :D :D :D

Some people are like that!

Regards,

Zenmastur
I have a friend like that.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
ouachita

Post by ouachita »

Based on Ipman's testing chart and reviews, the 7980XE has been the obvious single CPU choice for many
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Leo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:20 pm I have a friend like that.
Just what I thought!

He's obviously an intel Fanboy. Which means he thinks everyone should speed $2000 on an Intel CPU. At this point I think you have to be a F#&!N@ idiot to spend that kind of money on an Intel CPU to run chess engines IMHO!

Regards,

Zenmastur