Will be the new Shredder a Hybrid-Engine?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Will be the new Shredder a Hybrid-Engine?

Post by Paloma »

My first opponent was no less than the several-time world champion Shredder, a warrior of old which looks as if it is getting on a bit (grey hairs). This time Stefan [Meyer-Kahlen] was in good spirits with his hybrid program and just as in previous years he had come to the tournament with high ambitions.
Quoted from here:
https://en.chessbase.com/post/komodo-wo ... -icga-2019

by E.Günes (Erdogan mans the dragon)

Very Interresting, hopefully this will result in a strong increase in playing strength and will Shredder be back in the top four or three.

So only Houdini, Komodo, Fire, Ethereal and Xiphos are without neural networks.
Pure A/B Engines seem to be out.
ernest

Re: Will be the new Shredder a Hybrid-Engine?

Post by ernest »

Paloma wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:55 pm
So only Houdini, Komodo, Fire, Ethereal and Xiphos are without neural networks.
...and Stockfish ! :D
Father
Full name: Pablo Ignacio Restrepo

I will be waiting for alphazero AI chess software to position themselves; then we will see if they can resist the stren

Post by Father »

I will be waiting for alphazero AI chess softwares to position themselves; then we will see if they can resist the strength of the imagination of human intelligence of a simple chess player who plays for simple fun without belonging to Federation or any chess legue.
Best regards,
Pablo Ignacio Restrepo
Father and Grand-Father playchess user
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.
Ovyron

Re: I will be waiting for alphazero AI chess software to position themselves; then we will see if they can resist the s

Post by Ovyron »

Father wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:14 am I will be waiting for alphazero AI chess softwares to position themselves; then we will see if they can resist the strength of the imagination of human intelligence of a simple chess player who plays for simple fun without belonging to Federation or any chess legue.
Best regards,
Pablo Ignacio Restrepo
I'd be interested in seeing a PGN of a game where you beat an engine with a +30 second increment.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Paloma wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:55 pm Pure A/B Engines seem to be out.
I am never going to spend hundreds of euros for a graphic card and cooling and electricity bills just to be able to run NN engines.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Paloma wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:55 pm So only Houdini, Komodo, Fire, Ethereal and Xiphos are without neural networks.
Fire has a NN version, it played in TCEC.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Gabor Szots wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:37 am I am never going to spend hundreds of euros for a graphic card and cooling and electricity bills just to be able to run NN engines.
It seems rather likely that increasing NN support in new CPU architectures and improvements in NN engines will make the issue moot.

lc0-CPU-LD2 is a reasonably strong engine by itself.
Marcus9
Full name: Marco Giorgio

Re: I will be waiting for alphazero AI chess software to position themselves; then we will see if they can resist the s

Post by Marcus9 »

Ovyron wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:45 am
Father wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:14 am I will be waiting for alphazero AI chess softwares to position themselves; then we will see if they can resist the strength of the imagination of human intelligence of a simple chess player who plays for simple fun without belonging to Federation or any chess legue.
Best regards,
Pablo Ignacio Restrepo
I'd be interested in seeing a PGN of a game where you beat an engine with a +30 second increment.
It is not necessary, an engine with the right settings would be enough
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:27 am
Gabor Szots wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:37 am I am never going to spend hundreds of euros for a graphic card and cooling and electricity bills just to be able to run NN engines.
It seems rather likely that increasing NN support in new CPU architectures and improvements in NN engines will make the issue moot.

lc0-CPU-LD2 is a reasonably strong engine by itself.
I'm with Gabor on this. An energy efficient GTX1050 for just under £100 was as far as I was prepared to go. Yes perhaps CPU performance will improve in future. But in terms of GPU, what you can buy for £100 in 2 yrs time say will be a lot more powerful than what it buys you today.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Marcus9 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:37 amIt is not necessary, an engine with the right settings would be enough
But the engine with the "right settings" would lose a match against the engine with "default settings." My point here is that Father can't beat an engine with "default settings" and an increment of +30 seconds, while these default settings engine would beat the "right settings" one under all conditions.

This would make "default settings" +30 seconds the toughest opponent Father can beat (unless he cannot...), and it'd impress me, even if it was some engine at the Level of Romichess, because it'd be playing some chess and not beating some lag.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.