How much time handicap can LCzero give Magnus Carlsen ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

How much time handicap can LCzero give Magnus Carlsen ?

Post by Chessqueen »

Is it possibly that LCZero could play against Magnus Carlsen with only 1%. It can play versus other top engines with only 30%.
https://tcec.chessdom.com/live.html?amp&amp&amp
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
lkaufman

Re: How much time handicap can LCzero give Magnus Carlsen ?

Post by lkaufman »

Chessqueen wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:25 am Is it possibly that LCZero could play against Magnus Carlsen with only 1%. It can play versus other top engines with only 30%.
https://tcec.chessdom.com/live.html?amp&amp&amp
I have some (slightly) relevant data. I have the Revelation chessboard, which has Komodo 12.1 built in, but running on a processor that typically gives it just 85,000 or so NPS. You can specify a percentage of CPU power to use. Apparently it doesn't work quite as stated, as the NPS numbers come out about double what they should, but you can allow for this. The lowest setting is 1%, which is really 2% or so, maybe 1700 nps on average, roughly 0.1% of what it would get on a typical single core of an i7. Although I am a GM, I find this setting to be roughly fair for games where we both average around 15" per move. LcZero on a 2080 with 10% time is probably at least as strong as Komodo 12.1 on single core i7, so at 1% it would probably be about the same strength as Revelation at about 170000 nps (twice its actual speed). It would be hard to find two GMs further apart in strength than I am from Magnus, but a hundred to 1 speed ratio is enormous, and I'm quite certain that Magnus would not win a match from Komodo 12.1 on the Revelation board at full strength at any plausible time limit, this is easily worked out from CCRL ratings with adjustment for speed. So the short answer to your question is yes, LcZero on a 2080 at 1% of normal speed would win a match from MC at any plausible time limit (let's say with at least 2" increment in case Lz0 needs .02 seconds or so to work properly).
Komodo rules!
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Larry what about using 1 hyperthreaded thread instead of real core. As hyperthreaded is considered inferior. This is better for the human side. Crippling the engine further.
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Post by Raphexon »

Probably like 2-5% at classical time control.

At something like Blitz or Bullet she needs less time but can become wonky at extremely short TC.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Nordlandia wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:26 am Larry what about using 1 hyperthreaded thread instead of real core. As hyperthreaded is considered inferior. This is better for the human side. Crippling the engine further.
This suggestion doesn't make sense.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

zullil wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:56 am
Nordlandia wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:26 am Larry what about using 1 hyperthreaded thread instead of real core. As hyperthreaded is considered inferior. This is better for the human side. Crippling the engine further.
Based on what reasoning ?

A physical core is stronger than hyperthreaded.
zullil

Post by zullil »

Nordlandia wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:42 pm
zullil wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:56 am
Based on what reasoning ?

A physical core is stronger than hyperthreaded.
All cores are physical. There are no "hyperthreaded cores". Unless you a using more threads than physical cores, each thread should---unless your OS is defective---run on its own core, with no need for "hyperthreading." So if you are using just 1 search thread, hyperthreading is irrelevant..
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

There is program called Process Lasso that allow select affanity for background programs. So all you have to do is to let stockfish analyse a random position and open Process Lasso and let SF get hyperthreaded instead of real cores.

Active Processes -> double click on stockfish.exe and affanity then align from there.
zullil

Post by zullil »

Nordlandia wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:28 pm There is program called Process Lasso that allow select affanity for background programs. So all you have to do is to let stockfish analyse a random position and open Process Lasso and let SF get hyperthreaded instead of real cores.

Active Processes -> double click on stockfish.exe and affanity then align from there.
Yes, I suppose you could restrict Stockfish so that all threads are forced onto one or a small number of cores. But if you're using just one thread, as you suggested, at best this might strengthen Stockfish a bit.

There's really no such thing as a hyperthreaded core.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Nordlandia wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:26 amCrippling the engine further.
What's the point of making the engine as strong as possible and then cripple it as much as you can? Wouldn't it be simpler to download some weak engine that already plays at around the level that you want? As hardware gets stronger you just need to get weaker and weaker engines in there.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.